Bumblebee millipedes seemingly gone

Ian Tomlinson

Arachnopeon
Hey, I very recently decided to start raising millipedes and decided to get some bumblebee millipedes. They arrived on Thursday and I put them in a terrarium that I used to raise dart frogs in. They went in and immediately burrowed into the substrate. Since then they have completely diapered. I have no clue if they are dead, or escaped, or are burrowing, or are hiding in some hard to see place in my tank. The millipedes I got were fairly small (ordered 2 but got 5) and I was just wondering if there is any kind of explanation to this. Can they not survive in high humidity environments? Are the small isopods in there killing them? Are they molting? if anyone could give me any clue as to what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
The isopods could have potentiallyeaten them while they were molting or they’re all still down there. How long has it been since they disappeared and can you show us pics of the terrarium? If it was intended for a dart frog I’d imagine that almost any millipede would completely disappear since they are generally reclusive and all the soil, plants, and dead leaves would make a perfect place for them to hide. How large where they? 1-2”? These guys aren’t the largest out there and are quite small so you could have hd a mature male or female. Pics of the setup would help as well but for now my main concern would the isopods. What kind of isopods, dwarf whites or regular porcellio or armadillium? The latter two would definitely munch on a soft millipede. Pics of the setup and size of the pedes would help. Also this should be in the myriapods section not the insects, you might be able tog et more help there

Ian Tomlinson

Arachnopeon
The isopods are dwarf white, I used to have them in there to feed to my dart frogs. I think the millipedes were about 1 1/2".
My tank looks like this
terrarium.jpg
I am sorry I didn't realize this was the wrong place to put this thread. I literally made this account to ask this question so I am sorry that I do not know how to use this website well. Is there a way to change the location of threads?
I would also like to mention that the dirt is very moist. I didn't think this would be much a problem but if it is, I would like to know. Thank you.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
They’d definitely hide in that, no need to worry and I don’t think dwarf whites will hurt them. One thing I suggest NOT doing is trying to dig them up since there is a high chance that you could crush a molting pede.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
I caught some bumblebee millipedes in Florida a few days ago and successfully "smuggled" (it was legal but saying I brought them on a plane sounds lame) them back to MN. They only come out at nighttime. They really like cucumbers and strawberries which is a way to draw them from the soil. Most millipedes stay hidden a lot and are rarely seen but bumblebee millipedes in my experience do come out, its just only in the night.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I believe that they also emerge in massive droves during or after rain storms as well.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
My bumblebees have settled into a routine of appearing on the surface only every 3 to 6 days or so, and as mentioned above, mostly at night. They're a very nice looking millipede, but shy.

One thing I've done in the past is keep Bumblebees and Florida Ivories in the same enclosure. Ivories tend to be more active at the surface even during the day, which keeps things looking interesting between surface visits from the Bumblebees. Of course that can make it confusing which species is reproducing, but even that eventually comes clear after several months of growth.

Good luck with your new millipedes, and enjoy learning their habits :)