Building Plans

MikeDB

Arachnopeon
So as I stated in my introduction, i have a lot of experience building aquariums and now just starting to get in to the arachnid world, i want to keep the same high standards but would like to understand what changes i should make, towards my builds.
What is and what is not safe to use for arachnid and what is.
So i attached some basic plans i use for 90% of my tanks..
Ive made it into a PDF, because i do not know if the forums except my excel sheets.

"This is also attached for if people on this forum want to build there own tank, feel free to use it as for all your needs."

It has the products i use listed on it, the epoxy's work fine for aquatic, there none toxic, but i do not know if these would work for any Arachnid.

If anyone has any ideas on the changes i need to make to start towards my first arachnid tank build all information and knowledge would be very welcome...

p.s. i am planning to build my first tank standing up.. unlike an aquarium it will be 72" in height and only 30" in width and depth.

Thank you all in advance,

Mike

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I can't tell you about the pdf because I'm having trouble opening it, but an aquarium 72" in height and 30" in width and length is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too big for any arachnid. The only thing that might work in that is a huge colony of amblypygi or something. If you give say, a tarantula, that much room, it's never going to find its prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So as I stated in my introduction, i have a lot of experience building aquariums and now just starting to get in to the arachnid world, i want to keep the same high standards but would like to understand what changes i should make, towards my builds.
What is and what is not safe to use for arachnid and what is.
So i attached some basic plans i use for 90% of my tanks..
Ive made it into a PDF, because i do not know if the forums except my excel sheets.

"This is also attached for if people on this forum want to build there own tank, feel free to use it as for all your needs."

It has the products i use listed on it, the epoxy's work fine for aquatic, there none toxic, but i do not know if these would work for any Arachnid.

If anyone has any ideas on the changes i need to make to start towards my first arachnid tank build all information and knowledge would be very welcome...

p.s. i am planning to build my first tank standing up.. unlike an aquarium it will be 72" in height and only 30" in width and depth.

Thank you all in advance,

Mike
6 ft tall T container?? I hope your Ts don't starve because they can't find the prey. How will you address that challenge?

You can make any size container you want, but they really don't need something that large. However, if you believe in giving them a jungle, you will need to address the above because feeders are excellent at hiding and remaining motionless (roaches especially).

You'll need ventilation, at least drilled holes (no screen vents).

That's a massive volume.

Also, while I have owned tropical fish (fresh water) and understand the strictness and often perfection in salt owners, that level of husbandry creation isn't necessary with Ts. They are able to adapt to a range of husbandry conditions. Their needs are not at all as demanding as fish, or even some basic lizards.

Nothing wrong with making a jungle or desert for your Ts, it's only a matter of time and money.

Last edited:

MikeDB

Arachnopeon
well my main issue is, as i said i have 0 knowledge in arachnid...
so i came to these forums to get the knowledge, i don't jump wild in to projects to find out its failing...
so 6ft is to high,
my issue is... i have the glass... i can make 4 tanks in one case if that would solve the issue of height, each tank would then be roughly just under 1.5 ft.
and they would be above each other..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so i came to these forums to get the knowledge, i don't jump wild in to projects to find out its failing...
so 6ft is to high,
my issue is... i have the glass... i can make 4 tanks in one case if that would solve the issue of height, each tank would then be roughly just under 1.5 ft.
Questions are always welcome :D

Before you build something, I think the most important question is what species of Ts were you looking to keep? I really only recommend getting one or two to start with. They are unlike any exotic I've owned in the herp hobbies. Virtually known of that knowledge served any use in the T hobby.

Regarding height, for terrestrials we recommend no more than 1.5x their Diagonal Leg Span (DLS). Terrestrials are poor climbers, and can fall and potentially die esp when their abdomens get rather large, esp for New World females.

I would look at @EulersK videos on YouTube if you have no idea what T you would keep, and ask people in the T chat subforum.

In short I recommend NW terrestrials to start with, MANY different species to choose from. I'd go with G. pulchripes, relatively human tolerant (important for husbandry with new people), and if you like size, females can grow a good size.

Also, if you buy a spiderling you'll end up keeping it in a deli cup for a while, not some large container.

There's a lot of BEGINNER info on this forum. If you have no idea what you want, except a T, I suggest:

• Read through the forum
  • DO NOT READ CARESHEETS (full of bad/wrong info)
  • Ask questions once you read info
  • There are plenty of "what T should I get, I'm a beginner" type threads spanning over a decade on this forum.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the species i am aiming for is Poecilotheria metallica
Are you aware that Old World arboreals, particularly the Asian species are both extremely fast AND their venom is medically significant? The Pokie genus has the most powerful tarantula venom that has put people in hospitals. It's no joke.

Many of us don't recommend a T from that genus as their first T. We suggest Ts that are less challenging to keep for many reasons.

Generally speaking, getting a Poki as the first T, is like giving a person who is in Driver's Ed. a Ferrari so they may learn how to drive. Bad idea.

Good luck!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Others have already addressed the issues with the dimensions of the build and directed you in the right direction on T choice. I want to touch on the materials you will be using. Pretty much anything you use for your fish is going to be T safe. Fish are some of the most environmentally sensitive creatures. Your epoxy backgrounds and 100% silicon with no mold prevention additives will work.

obie

Arachnosquire
try garf aquarium builder .org or com you just input the size you want

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Why does every beginner want a P. metallica? That's like wanting a house cat and getting a panther. Why not look into Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? They're also a beautiful blue species, but without the potent venom and more difficult husbandry. They are pretty quick though.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Why does every beginner want a P. metallica? That's like wanting a house cat and getting a panther. Why not look into Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? They're also a beautiful blue species, but without the potent venom and more difficult husbandry. They are pretty quick though.
Just because they have that added factor of "spice". Also, they do have different colors. Bright yellows, blues, and nice patterns on the abdomen. The spider has a unique look not many T's can substitute for, even if it's a C. cyaneopubescens :D

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If your goal is P. metallica, you should start with an A. avic. Nice arboreal to start off, but I would buy one that is pretty big (2"+) so that it is a little hardier. 18 inches is a little high for most arboreals in the hobby, but you could just fill a lot of it with dirt and there you go. If you really want to start heading towards metallica, avicularia are the way to go. And trust me, there are countless avic care threads on this site, so info isn't hard to find on them :D

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
so 6ft is to high,
My recommendations -

1st Get that glass cut and make several smaller tanks.

2nd If you don't want to make multiple smaller tanks cut the pieces in half and make a shelving unit to house your T's enclosures, feeders, supplies etc.

3rd If you want a multilevel tank I still recommend cutting it in half and make 2 - 8 unit tanks. giving you 16 - 18 x 15 x 15 units filling up about 3-5 inches of the bottoms with substrate. You of course would need separate doors for each one.

4th If the glass is tempered scrap the idea of keeping a T in such large enclosure(s) imho. 18 x 30 x 30 is just massive and would be worrisome for the T's getting their meals as mentioned in other posts.

Addressing the Poecilotheria metallica interest. I agree with what everyone else has stated but ultimately the choice is yours. Pokies are lightning fast I recently received a couple and one Poecilotheria smithi teleported out of the papertowel it was protected in in the vial and free roamed my desk for a few minutes. The inexperienced keeper would freak out when this happens, and it does. I did with my first teleporter which was an OBT - Pterinochilus murinus 19 or so years ago (purchased from Paul Becker great man to deal with!) almost crushed it trying to get my catch cup in front of it. I'm not trying to discourage you from P. metallica but I would recommend watching many poecilotheria species videos on youtube, read everything and use your best judgement. Far as pokies go I believe the metallica are a little more stable but that could just be the rare none bi-polar black sheep sling of the sac.

Good luck,
Geoff

EDIT - On a side note which for some odd reason eluded me when writing up this post a huge HUGE disadvantage to a multilevel tank if it breaks you might be SOL lol.

Last edited: