Building paludarium, need help a little help

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I'm in process of choosing my materials for creating my paludarium in a 55 for about 4 large, 2 medium leopard frogs. I'm trying to figure out what rocks to use and I know the rules for using them for fish tank but what about frogs? Say if I use limestone or marble, would the water hardness change be too great for frogs or native North American fish like dace? So far I have a list of slate, granite, quartz, and lava rock (not really liking it though) as my options. Any other rocks that would be safe for both the fish and the frogs?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For native fish, I wouldn't worry about limestone, many North American lakes are on limestone. Since your frogs are native I wouldn't worry about them either. Soft water (such as animals from the Amazon) species wouldn't appreciate the additional mineral content, however, should you ever change the animals in the setup.
Mackenzie

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In theory any "wild" rock thats submerged in water full time should be pretty safe. in theory it's been in the water a long time, long enough to leach things like calcium out. in theory. slate and granite are great, even better would be rounded stones from a clean stream or river. allow to dry in the sun (uv is pretty good at killing things) and then scrub with a never used for anything but aquariums scrub brush, rinse, repeat as needed. then let it dry in the sun again. if you're really worried about the rocks causing a negative swing in the waters ph you can dust under the gravel with a tiny bit of peat moss, or add a bag of peat moss to the filter, and adding dried leaf litterto the bottom of the tank helps lower ph. leaf litter over gravel also gives the animals a place to hide thats a very natural.