[Inquiry] Bugshippers.com

SpTimoteo

Arachnopeon
Has anyone used Bugshippers.com? They have a big variety at mostly good prices, but I’m super leery. I haven’t seen any reviews anywhere.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
There are red flags that make me not want to touch that site with a 10 ft pole:
  • They've been around since 2019, but I've never heard of them.
  • Claim to fame is that a "Legendary Naturalist" would buy from them again.
    1601832007479.png
  • Poor website design:
    1601831820449.png
  • Multiple typographical and spelling errors:
    1601831908626.png
    1601831936858.png
    1601832026580.png
    1601832060553.png
    1601832093633.png
  • Contact Us information discrepancies. Says location is California, but 240 area code is Maryland. Email address typo.
    1601832292052.png
Any of these by themselves, could merely be an error. All together, a whole big bag of NOPE.......

SpTimoteo

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I had noticed some of that too.
I’ve noticed similar things on so-called reputable dealers too, though. For example, there’s a seller recommended by TTC that has a pic of c. versicolor on their listing for avicularia avicularia. A mistake like that is a huge red flag to me, but they have stellar reviews from several people in the community. It’s really hard to tell where to buy from.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Thanks! I had noticed some of that too.
I’ve noticed similar things on so-called reputable dealers too, though. For example, there’s a seller recommended by TTC that has a pic of c. versicolor on their listing for avicularia avicularia. A mistake like that is a huge red flag to me, but they have stellar reviews from several people in the community. It’s really hard to tell where to buy from.
We don't allow general "red flag" discussion in this forum (and won't allow further general "red flag" discussion in this thread or any others in this forum) but as this is specific to this inquiry I felt it should be mentioned.

It's really all about the context.

A known, recommended seller, who uploaded the wrong image to one item on an otherwise "good" website

vs.

An unknown seller who can't be bothered to fix their email address on their own contact us page, has numerous typographical errors in featured images, and who has a phone number with an area code for a different state than where it says they're located.

Different magnitudes of red flags.

wickee

Arachnopeon
It's a complete scam. I filed a complaint against the person with the FBI internet crimes division. Still ongoing. I realized before I sent them money but I wasn't buying that they had same day delivery on Easter Sunday for a Homoeomma chilensis which they supposedly had for 50.00. I reported the website to the webhosting company and I reported the account he does transactions with to the company that oversees it.

Spiderdude23

Arachnopeon
@wickee same happened to me! Ordered two homoeomma chilenisis tarantulas. They took my money and days later, sent me fake tracking through EMS. Warning - the scam artist who operate the bugshippers email are the same that operate the EMS email account. I found this out because they accident answered an email I sent to bugshippers through the EMS email account. Hope people get a chance to read this before sending them any money.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I know this is a bit of an older thread but I figured I'd update that their website is down and their account with the hosting company is cancelled.
Also I noticed that the naturalist review is the exact same image from another (bigger) website. Except snakes is changed to insects and the real company's name is changed with bugshipper usa, the three words that have a different font and background color. Also if you look closely you can see that the bugshipper usa is covering up something else.

junkaiwangisme

Arachnopeon
Sorry to reply to an older thread… sad to say it’s up again: bugshippers.com/ I wonder what we can do about it…. I really hate these scam sites, brings a bad name to the already small hobby

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Necro threading i know, but its still up... please everyone be warned, as i was considering buying but noticed the live insect statement, and went to inquire as the moths and butterflies violate CITES

Spyderdune

Arachnopeon
Has anyone used Bugshippers.com? They have a big variety at mostly good prices, but I’m super leery. I haven’t seen any reviews anywhere.
I just got taken by them, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! I just found out about an hour ago that I was tricked!! And then they tried to get me to pay again!!!!

EZPZ

Arachnopeon
I was defrauded by these guys, so I reported it to NameCheap, their host, and the site is now offline. I marked my calendar to check back every week or so to make sure they stay offline.