Bugging Out - Spread the word please :)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
not sure

After watching the show a few times, I came to the conclusion that they hired the guy that does the intro music for the show Dexter. Ken, is this true? LOL
I truthfully have not clue...not kept in the loop on the production stuff really.

Titandan

Arachnopeon
Ken,

You have such a lovely family and cool friends! Your wife is quite the character! Wish I could meet someone who will love T's as much as your wife!

And the pink toe costume was too cute! LOL! I loved how the Therapist dropped the Vinegarroon at the end! Hahahaha!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So anyone care to review it?
I'll give my honest objective review.

I watched both episodes and my first impression was "it's about time there's a show with arachnids as a theme." It's a nice change from the programs about dogs and cats or the same theoretical physics. However, I was expecting a more educational program and more content about the "bugs" themselves. It appears that Discovery Networks replaced natural history programs with shows about people who make wildlife their business. As for the show "Bugging Out", I feel the show does nothing for me as far as both education or entertainment goes because the format (camera crew following people around filming them "doing their thing") is redundant across Discovery Networks' channels (Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, etc) and the information about arachnids is "entry level" and nothing new to me. The only television shows to date about arachnids (tarantulas specifically) that got me excited were the ones with Rick West finding the "blind cave tarantula" Hemirrhagus sp. from Mexico and the one with Robert Raven finding and analyzing a new species of Australian tarantula (I forget the species it turned out to be). They got me excited because I've never seen an Hemirrhagus sp. before and I've never seen how an arachnologist goes about describing a new species (the latter was really cool because I'm familiar with Dr. Raven's work).

It should be said though that I'm more facinated by the science of arachnology than the social aspect of the hobby so I don't think "Bugging Out" is a bad show, it's just not for me.

I think Ken gained a new customer out of me because the shop is obviously run by a professional who is not only passionate about "bugs" but also has a keen sense for doing business the right way.

- Lonnie

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll give my honest objective review
That's a very fair and decent review. You're correct that it is not a science show but rather a hobbyists show. That's its intent - Ken is not a scientist, but works within the realm of hobbyists. I think it's great that this aspect is given its recognition - the human side can easily get overlooked in the pure "science and discovery" shows.

I'm at a slight disadvantage here comparing it to other shows though, since I gave up on televisions long ago. But I did get to watch some of the filming of this program and saw a few of the clips from it. (Actually, for all I know I may be in the background on some scenes, and had to sign a permission for in case of such an event.) The portions I saw, either at the time of filming or as promotional clips, were great at presenting the hobby (admittedly not the science of arachnology).

I think Ken gained a new customer out of me because the shop is obviously run by a professional who is not only passionate about "bugs" but also has a keen sense for doing business the right way.
You've got my full agreement here. I've done business with Ken, even been in the field with him looking for arachnids. Besides his knowledge of the animals he works with, he's highly ethical. I'm sure the show will bring this out. But I'll add that although he'll get a lot of attention from this - there are other dealers who are also excellent. What I hope this show brings out is that the hobby in general is a friendly, decent environment.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
agree

I also agree it was a very fair review and thanks :) I know this show is not geared to all walks of life and truthfully they are aiming at the common person that knows very little or nothing about bugs at times so I don't think it will be at the end of things you are hopeing for but never know maybe in future episodes.

Thanks to you also Bill!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also agree it was a very fair review and thanks :) I know this show is not geared to all walks of life and truthfully they are aiming at the common person that knows very little or nothing about bugs at times so I don't think it will be at the end of things you are hopeing for but never know maybe in future episodes.

Thanks to you also Bill!
I had a question I hope you don't mind me asking. Did you pitch the show idea to the network or did they learn about you and seek you out?

Also, were you guaranteed a certain number of episodes or is it on a trial/pilot basis?

If I missed any this info I apologize. I hope it works out for you and you get the opportunity for multiple seasons of shows.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
show

they found us. Wilmer was looking for a mantis :) If the ratings are good we get a series.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw them last night. I loved it! I like it the way it is done in like a reality tv show format.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a question. I always watch reality shows, and so many seem unrealistic. In the tarantula convention episode, you were running out of gas. Now I know it makes good tv and you were able to explain what could happen to the Ts, but had you run out of gas, wouldn't the camera crew have went and got you gas? So was it really even an issue?

I've always seen this in other reality shows and now I can actually ask a reality show star :)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmmm

You know production crews love drama and I would hope they would have gotten me gas but really not sure! They might have let us deal on our own just to make sure something crazy happened ;) Running out of gas in that heat would not have been good either way though as tarantulas do not like those temps for very long. Actually at that part of shooting there were only the people in the car with us also so there was not another car to get us gas without calling someone.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i loved the show. i like how it tries to put the hobby in the main stream. the onlt thing i didnt like was how they went to the field to find 40 U. mordax for the rapper photo shoot and then only used the P. imperitors they brought as back up

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No Science Channel, but I watched some of the clips on the website and thought it was very interesting. Especially with the operation of your business.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just watched the clips on the website, looks pretty interesting. Is there any place you can watch full episodes online?

EvlMinion

Arachnopeon
I saw the commercials for this on the Science channel right after I got my HD box (hooray for renovations! bought myself an HDTV, finally.) and I tuned in for the first two eps. I, too, would appreciate a more scienc-y show but as a newcomer to keeping tarantulas I like how this one works to dispel the myth that these creatures as well as others like scorpions are scary and evil. Kinda made me want a vinegaroon, too. :)

I'd read about Ken on these forums before, and when I tuned in I said, "Ohh, it's him!" Congrats, Ken, and I hope this brings a bunch of people into the hobby even if I do admit to enjoying the horrified looks I get when I tell people I've got six tarantulas. I think it might be time for a scorpion.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the other guy (the one who's been bitten a lot) Ken's brother?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the other guy (the one who's been bitten a lot) Ken's brother?
Nope. I think you're referring to Mike "Troll" Dame. I don't think he's on this board, but he is active on the ATS board.