1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Bug question

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Thebaddestass, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Thebaddestass

Thebaddestass Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I just started taking care of isopods. I like the little dudes but i would like to add another insect just to to make it a little more interesting. It's a party mix of some isopods, so I was just curious if there were any bugs that might be ideal to keep in with them that wont eat them.

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

It depends on what kind of isopods you're keeping. Theoretically, anything with similar environmental and dietary requirements can cohabit with your isopods. I've kept millipedes or roaches with isopods before (just the local Canyon Isopods) and they do all right. (Sometimes the roaches will eat the isopods - and the isopods are not above nibbling on a molting millipede.)

Isopods are also frequently used as a cleaning crew with a variety of other inverts. There may be few casualties when they're kept with predatory species, but if you have a large enough isopod population to withstand a little harvesting, that would broaden your selection a bit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thebaddestass

Thebaddestass Arachnopeon

Thank you I'm hoping to get a decent colony going. I have 2 tarantulas I'm thinking of putting them in with.

4. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

That's going to depend heavily on what species of tarantulas you have. If they're arid species that prefer dry substrate, then it won't work - isopods need a fair amount of moisture to survive. Keep it dry for the tarantulas and the isopods will die - but keeping it wet enough for the isopods would be bad for the spiders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. davehuth

davehuth Arachnoknight Active Member

Generally speaking, folks who have a lot of experience keeping isopods eventually become very cautious when selecting other animals to keep the isopods with. Collectively, they can exert a shocking amount of force on the lives of cohabitants. Some species can cause more trouble than others. There are many observations of aggressive Porcellio species harrassing or taking down other invertebrates -- or even vertebrates like geckos and anoles. Personally, I've kept somewhat chill species with fully grown hissing cockroachs (though they compete for food so I have to be generous). But I never keep isopods with millipedes. It can be tricky, but I also have a fondness for communal enclosures overall. Get lots of variety-specific advice, and good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

The dwarf species of isopods (Trichorhina tomentosa and the micropods "purple" or whatever they're called) tend to do well in mixed tanks because they're pretty shy and typically won't chew on the tankmates unless they're desperate. The larger species can be problematic though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.