bug gel

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i just got some bug gel is there any down side to it for crickets - locusts - ect - i will not use it my ( t ) just good old tap or bottle water its the first time my local pet shop had it in !! -- thanks phil :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been using it for years with my crickets and haven't experienced any problems with it. It definitely shouldn't be used for tarantula since they would not be able to even "drink" from it.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And if you don't want to waste your money: http://www.water-sorb.com/store.php?crn=206

Buy it dry and make it up as you need it.

2lbs of the stuff is a bit over $20 shipped and will last your average keeper a couple of decades, probably longer. I bought about this much from the garden department of home depot almost 5 years ago and still have yet to make any real dent in it.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And if you don't want to waste your money: http://www.water-sorb.com/store.php?crn=206

Buy it dry and make it up as you need it.

2lbs of the stuff is a bit over $20 shipped and will last your average keeper a couple of decades, probably longer. I bought about this much from the garden department of home depot almost 5 years ago and still have yet to make any real dent in it.
exactly! i believe the mixture is 1 oz. crystals to every 1 gal. of water. so just buy a gallon of distilled water, put in an oz. of crystals and let it sit over night.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
exactly! i believe the mixture is 1 oz. crystals to every 1 gal. of water. so just buy a gallon of distilled water, put in an oz. of crystals and let it sit over night.
Do NOT use distilled water for watering anything. If you are paranoid, buy filtered or spring water (or buy a filtration system) but distilled water is pretty much about the worst thing you can ever put into a living system. Any time you use distilled water you are leeching nutrients from the organism being subjected because of basic solute gradient issues in biological systems. BTW, tap water is fine in 99.9% of municipalities.

People filter their water for taste, not because it's actually any better for them, and the bugs don't care.