Bug bombs

justamber

Arachnopeon
I need to bug bomb my house, I have a massive fruit fly issue. There's a pet store in town where I can take my tarantulas to be housed for however long needed. How long would you say is safe before I bring them back in? I'll obviously clean everything REALLY well and air everything out but I don't know what would be safe.

Does anyone have any expierence with this?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
You may be able to get rid of fruit flies without going through all that. If they don't have a food source they will disappear. Clean your trash bins, drains and under your fridge.

justamber

Arachnopeon
You may be able to get rid of fruit flies without going through all that. If they don't have a food source they will disappear. Clean your trash bins, drains and under your fridge.
I have cleaned and done EVERYTHING I can think of and they're multiplying like crazy. I feel like I have to bomb the house. I really don't want to but it's getting out of hand.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Vinegar/soap traps work well, too. They work really well with some cling wrap with small holes poked in it stretched over them.

justamber

Arachnopeon
Vinegar/soap traps work well, too. They work really well with some cling wrap with small holes poked in it stretched over them.
I'll try that, thank you! I have the ones from the store and they like those but it's not getting all of them.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Do you recycle? Old beer or soda cans can support quite the colony even with just the smallest bit of residue in them.

justamber

Arachnopeon
Do you recycle? Old beer or soda cans can support quite the colony even with just the smallest bit of residue in them.
I don't have anything like that in the house. I think it may be something in the garbage disposal but I poured all kinds of <edit> down there and they still popped back up and with a vengeance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Are you certain they are fruit flies? Also... are you sure you don’t have a rotten banana left under your bed? Beer or soda cans left around?

justamber

Arachnopeon
Are you certain they are fruit flies? Also... are you sure you don’t have a rotten banana left under your bed? Beer or soda cans left around?
Fruit flies or gnats? I guess I don't know for sure, they're some kind of small flying bug. And I'm positive I don't have anything left around, my house is the cleanest it's ever been lol.

I really don't want to bomb but I think I have to, I'm desperate. Just hoping someone might have some words of wisdom before I go for it.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Fruit flies or gnats? I guess I don't know for sure, they're some kind of small flying bug. And I'm positive I don't have anything left around, my house is the cleanest it's ever been lol.

I really don't want to bomb but I think I have to, I'm desperate. Just hoping someone might have some words of wisdom before I go for it.
The reason I asked, because I wonder if they might be a type of gnat. My gf is big into houseplants and I was getting these fungus gnats for a while. They live and reproduce in the damp soil of houseplants. Once figuring out what they were, I was able to get control of the situation. That’s why I was questioning about the fruit flies, because generally they spring up from things not being picked up or cleaned.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
The reason I asked, because I wonder if they might be a type of gnat. My gf is big into houseplants and I was getting these fungus gnats for a while. They live and reproduce in the damp soil of houseplants. Once figuring out what they were, I was able to get control of the situation. That’s why I was questioning about the fruit flies, because generally they spring up from things not being picked up or cleaned.
This. See attached photo of "our" Sciaridae we had. I had these "infest" a Chromatopelma enclosure - of all things. Turned out one must have managed to lay eggs at the one slightly damp spot: the substrate under the waterdish, at just the right time (I overflow the dish just a little every two weeks or so, otherwise the enclosure is bone dry). They came from the plant pots we have all over the place. Now, if I say "infested", I mean there were about 10 of them within the enclosure at the max.

Solution: those yellow sticky cards and a bit of patience. No insecticides involved. We let those plants that can take it dry out for 2 weeks and hung up a few of the cards in the plants. For a week, they were full of gnats, after that, the invasion subsided.

@ the OP: Before you go wild with chemical warfare, it's worth having a close look at your guests and determine what they actually are. Even through a cheap microscope, it's not that hard to distinguish fruit flies, gnats and Phoridae. Know your enemy. Then you can effectively fight him, and avoid friendly fire (i.e. poisoning your tarantulas).

One observation I found interesting: The dry Chromatopelma enclosure had them, while my (slightly more moist) Brachypelma hamorii enclosure right next to it had none at all. I think it has something to do with the substrate. The GBB has a mix with coco fibre (about 30%, the rest is sand, a little clay and topsoil), while the B. hamorii lives on substrate that has a lot more clay in it. Both enclosures have succulent plants in them, yet the gnats didn't seem to care about the one in the B. hamorii enclosure. Never seen even a single gnat in there. Seems like they don't like clayey substrate.
That being said, it is an observation with just two data points. That's plenty enough for a Nature paper, but not really significant. Maybe others could chime in and add a few data points?

20191122_102136.jpg

Last edited:

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
Yep I had thousands of the things,we used to get trolley loads of veg for the animals.best thing keep your doors closed.Hoover the walls when it's cool.do it every day,
I need to bug bomb my house, I have a massive fruit fly issue. There's a pet store in town where I can take my tarantulas to be housed for however long needed. How long would you say is safe before I bring them back in? I'll obviously clean everything REALLY well and air everything out but I don't know what would be safe.

Does anyone have any expierence with this?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You may be able to get rid of fruit flies without going through all that. If they don't have a food source they will disappear.
This, my dad used to have a little pedal bin in his kitchen that he'd chuck fruit/vegetable waste in (instead of immediately taking it out to chuck in the garden composters) and a mangy old natural fibre rug in the dining room, and he'd wonder why there were fruit flies/fungus gnats and carpet moths everywhere.

Got rid of the rug/bin and, lo & behold, they bloody disappeared.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Without identifying exactly what the culprit is, and therefore knowing where they breed, a bug bomb is only a very temporary solution. You may kill the adults that are around at that moment of time, but without getting to the source of the issue, new adults will hatch out daily or periodically from the source. If they are coming from the drain, the best treatment is with an IGR (insect growth regulator) such as Gentrol as the larvae are adapted to very toxic environments and many other insecticides should not be put down drains unless you're into killing aquatic ecosystems (and if not labeled for drains is against the law). The IGR prevents them from developing into adults.