bug attracting project

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are 1000 acres of pasture and wooded land I have access to. It's in central, east TX. I'm thinking about setting up something to attract all different kinds of bugs in the middle of the night out there. I remember seeing a few shows on the Discovery Channel where they hung up a sheet or something like it and shined bright lights on the sheet to attract insects. I remember an old thread on the AB too where they basically used the same method. I may do this in April or May. I know the perfect spot. The spot is a small clearing on the side of a hill overlooking a couple of ponds surrounded by woods. Anybody have any suggestions about how I should set it up? I have my own ideas but maybe I can get some better ideas. One problem is that there isn't a outlet for electricity out there. Maybe I could use my truck battery or something like that. I remember a converter I saw in a store, so I could get 120v out there with my truck, maybe. Maybe a generator but I don't like the noise from most generators. What kind of lights? What's the least wattage light I should use? Should I light up both sides or does lighting up one side serve the other side too? I mostly have large beetles and the giant silkworm moths in mind, but it should all be good.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For what you want to do a twelve volt black light set up would be the way to go. I run one regularly off my car battery when I am in the field.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Black light works goods too, but a large white sheet will be easier to spot.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yup BLACKLIGHT works good. I forgot to mention the white sheet as a background though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A black light it better than 150 watt incandescent bulb? ...because I could go 120v. If the black light is better whether it's more convenient or not, that would rock. I don't even have a 12v blacklight. Where is a good place to get one (or two)? I want a good one. I guess I should do a "search" on this site about that but if you want give some tips anyway, please go ahead. Thanks for that info. I wouldn't have considered using a black light. Thanks again! If it goes OK, I'll post some pics later.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Use a black light, but normal lights to balance it out. I had pretty good results with it on my fence.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There are 1000 acres of pasture and wooded land I have access to. It's in central, east TX. I'm thinking about setting up something to attract all different kinds of bugs in the middle of the night out there. I remember seeing a few shows on the Discovery Channel where they hung up a sheet or something like it and shined bright lights on the sheet to attract insects. I remember an old thread on the AB too where they basically used the same method. I may do this in April or May. I know the perfect spot. The spot is a small clearing on the side of a hill overlooking a couple of ponds surrounded by woods. Anybody have any suggestions about how I should set it up? I have my own ideas but maybe I can get some better ideas. One problem is that there isn't a outlet for electricity out there. Maybe I could use my truck battery or something like that. I remember a converter I saw in a store, so I could get 120v out there with my truck, maybe. Maybe a generator but I don't like the noise from most generators. What kind of lights? What's the least wattage light I should use? Should I light up both sides or does lighting up one side serve the other side too? I mostly have large beetles and the giant silkworm moths in mind, but it should all be good.
what is central east texas lol sounds like where i am lol

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bioquip.com has several to chose from, a bit pricey but nice. I would not mix the two light types my experience has been that it will degrade the number of insects attracted, BL is far more attractive to insects here in the states. Interestingly enough in the tropics mercury vapor lights are often better.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Guess it's a little farther south than central east TX. It's just east of Bryan.

OK! I'm hitting Bioquip.com. Pricey is ok. I've learned to try and not by cheap junk because you keep on buying cheap junk, ....it breaks fast or doesn't work real well. I usually try to pay up front. Thanks again! On my way to that site.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well what you could try to do is set up the black light up on one side of the pond, then regular light on the other side, just in case one works better :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that's an idea. But I'd need another power source. I might try the two diff lights at diff times at the same spot.

That Bugnapper would be good to catch feeders with.

I just ordered two BLs. I ordered one 12v and another I can switch from AC to DC, so I can use both in the field if I want and the AC/DC I can use on my back porch when I want. That's a really good site for people interested in biology. Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of stapling a pillowcase to 1/4 inch plywood and attaching something that was about 5 or 6 inches long to hang the BL on in front of the pillowcase. I could attach a stake on the plywood to allow for a fast setup. Maybe a little too small? I guess this is when I can just start using my common sense. This should be kind of cool. I've always liked arthropods and bio in general but I've never used this method before.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use a twin or full size white top sheet, too small is not good you will miss a lot of insects. I usually just hang everything off the side of my car with at least a foot overlap on the ground.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a large net, two lamps, each beside the net, then viola!!! you got bats, beetles, moths and if your lucky maybe a pterodactyl...

:D

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Going wireless..

If anyone could use some notes on battery-backups for portable rigs, I'd be glad to post them...

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mercury Vapor light, 150 watt running off small portable generator. The best in the tropics or here...although 250 watt would be nice too. This setup is in the middle of an Old Growth forest here in Ithaca NY. We set up the Mercury Vapor and two Blacklights (running off portable batteries) in a big triangle on top off a ridge.

At the Mercury Vapor light. Low density, this can get a lot better.

Notice the ground sheet.

The best time to light trap in TX is August, especially after it rains.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, those are more good ideas! I'm thinking about using a charged marine battery as power source but I don't know how long the charge would last. Guess I could look at amp hours and get a close est. I may just use my Toyota truck and it's battery but I want it to be quiet when I do this, sit down and see what happens without a bunch of noise. Thanks for the black lighting link Beetle. And thanks for those pics luc. Looks like a bunch of monster mosquitoes:mad:.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Galapoheros,

Please keep us posted on how you do out there. For running lights off of your car, you usually only have to start the car every once in a while and let it run for a few minutes to help charge the battery back up. The more expensive DC/AC convertors have an alarm that lets you know when the battery is running out.

Good luck...

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unless you have a weak car battery you should have no trouble using it. I have let my black lights run over night with no problem as long as I did some driving the next day.