Bublebees home

Jerry

Arachnobaron
1486340205416-774482727.jpg there new home now the fun part sorting them out of the other tank

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well I work at a sawmill and when logs come in with big rotten spots in the middle of them I scrounge all the soft rotten wood I can and there is some wood that's dirt like it's about half a shade from being dirt and I mix in a little Coco fiber and leaves when I have them seems to work good

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Well I work at a sawmill and when logs come in with big rotten spots in the middle of them I scrounge all the soft rotten wood I can and there is some wood that's dirt like it's about half a shade from being dirt and I mix in a little Coco fiber and leaves when I have them seems to work good
I don't have access to logs. Trying to come up with the right mix for my bumblebees.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I've kinda got it lucky but anywhere the are groups of standing trees you can collect rotten wood and old leaves campgrounds and such

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I tend to go heavy on the rotten wood material and just use enufe Coco fiber to loosen it up a bit so it's not so dense

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I tend to go heavy on the rotten wood material and just use enufe Coco fiber to loosen it up a bit so it's not so dense
I don't live far from forest areas. Gives me a reason to go on a little road trip and take a hike. So you mix it all together? How often do you change it out?

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@socalqueen

You could buy a bag of aspen bedding to use as wood.
I've used it before for my bumblebees and it works GREAT.
This is the one I bought in particular.
You can mix it right into your substrate, and the bedding goes on sale fairly often from that site. It's on sale at the moment as well!
It is a LARGE bag, but it should last you a while assuming you keep out bugs.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well I just keep an eye on it but depending on the container size amount of sub and millipede numbers two months and if it's a small container or large number of Millie's you can go sooner one a months or longer 3 or 4 months it will depend on how fast they eat threw it and I never completely change it I rumage threw see how there doing and add more wood and such to what they have the only time I have completely changed is when I move to a different enclosure

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
@socalqueen

You could buy a bag of aspen bedding to use as wood.
I've used it before for my bumblebees and it works GREAT.
This is the one I bought in particular.
You can mix it right into your substrate, and the bedding goes on sale fairly often from that site. It's on sale at the moment as well!
It is a LARGE bag, but it should last you a while assuming you keep out bugs.
Thank you very much, much easier!! I'll check it out. Everyone has different opinions on the mix and set up, trying to get a basic idea before mine arrive. Curious about leaves, what kind are best.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Well I just keep an eye on it but depending on the container size amount of sub and millipede numbers two months and if it's a small container or large number of Millie's you can go sooner one a months or longer 3 or 4 months it will depend on how fast they eat threw it and I never completely change it I rumage threw see how there doing and add more wood and such to what they have the only time I have completely changed is when I move to a different enclosure
I believe we have 6 on the way. I will definitely be keeping an eye on them, feeling hopeful and excited though, im sure I'm more worried than I need to be.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Hardwood oak ash and I use cottonwood because there so abund and there pretty forgiving just don't let them dry out and you'll do fine

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Thank you very much, much easier!! I'll check it out. Everyone has different opinions on the mix and set up, trying to get a basic idea before mine arrive. Curious about leaves, what kind are best.
You're welcome!
I always just use oak leaves myself. That's what is most readily available to me (literally my own backyard) and that's often where I find bumblebee's, is amongst oak debris.
If you don't have access to it, there's a great site that sells leaf litter (HERE: You'd want LIVE oak) OR you have the option of just buying pre mixed substrate from them that is perfect for millipedes (HERE: What you want it "NEHERP Vivarium Substrate: ABG Mix" you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it but it's there)

So it's up to you. Lol. I haven't personally bought the mix to try yet, but I have heard from others it's GREAT and has everything they need (and based on the ingredients I would agree)

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
You're welcome!
I always just use oak leaves myself. That's what is most readily available to me (literally my own backyard) and that's often where I find bumblebee's, is amongst oak debris.
If you don't have access to it, there's a great site that sells leaf litter (HERE: You'd want LIVE oak) OR you have the option of just buying pre mixed substrate from them that is perfect for millipedes (HERE: What you want it "NEHERP Vivarium Substrate: ABG Mix" you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it but it's there)

So it's up to you. Lol. I haven't personally bought the mix to try yet, but I have heard from others it's GREAT and has everything they need (and based on the ingredients I would agree)
We have oaks available to us as well, that's what I was considering. Leaf litter is a great option! Thank you so much for your ideas, I will look into the leaf litter for sure.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
We have oaks available to us as well, that's what I was considering. Leaf litter is a great option! Thank you so much for your ideas, I will look into the leaf litter for sure.
That's good! I'd just make sure you collect from an area where there were no pesticides used and bake them. Sometimes there will be bugs and such you don't want getting mixed in with your 'pedes so you just want to make sure you bake off anything that might be in the leaf litter. (You might already know that if you do. good! lol)
And you're welcome! I'm glad to help out :happy:

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
That's good! I'd just make sure you collect from an area where there were no pesticides used and bake them. Sometimes there will be bugs and such you don't want getting mixed in with your 'pedes so you just want to make sure you bake off anything that might be in the leaf litter. (You might already know that if you do. good! lol)
And you're welcome! I'm glad to help out :happy:
I didn't know that, lol. I would most definitely bake them to be on the safe side, and seriously considering just buying the leaf litter, seems much easier.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
You'll have to post some pics of the Millie's bumblebees are my favorite sp that I've kept so far o and the breed weel to

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I didn't know that, lol. I would most definitely bake them to be on the safe side, and seriously considering just buying the leaf litter, seems much easier.
You would save on a few steps just buying it, it would certainly be much easier. Wouldn't have to worry about other bugs getting mixed in somehow, wouldn't have to go collect it and bake it.