Brucey, the arboreal BP!

Verified Newb

Arachnopeon
I know Ball Pythons are supposed to be terrestrial, but apparently Bruce didn't get that memo. I assumed that when he climbed the fake plants and thermometer in his enclosure he was just exploring his new surroundings, but now he is sleeping on a "perch".

He has done this a few times now. I'm confused... He has 3 hides in his tank (warm side, cool side, and in the middle) which he normally uses. He just stopped using them a couple of days ago. So strange!

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My thoughts on this are that snakes are very good at finding the spot in the cage where they are most comfortable. If that happens to be higher up on a branch or perched on some other cage accessories then that is where they will go.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Sneks are weird. Mystery solved :p

I have a young Brazilian Rainbow Boa that has TWO hides yet likes to curl up on the cold side of the tank, behind the water bowl. I put some moist moss inside one of the hides and now she uses that instead, but she stayed in that one spot for weeks.

Kailique

Arachnopeon
My boy Edgar the Yellow-belly BP climbs about and sleeps in his branches though not all the time. He still uses his ground hides. I think pythons would be more arboreal if people gave them branches in their habitats. I can certainly say he appreciates the fun activity it gives him.