brown recluse

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Did anyone happen to know that the scorpion, Hemiscorpion lepturus, also produces such necrotic ulcerations?. BTW, that's just nasty.
Sorry carpe, just trying to make a point that they shouldn't be taken lightly

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYBE, I totally realize that, I was only trying to re-scorpionize a spider ridden thread.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
NYBE, I totally realize that, I was only trying to re-scorpionize a spider ridden thread.
Carpe do you have any pics of that scorp you mentioned, also there's a post with a scorp eating a black widow, don't see why it couldn't take a recluse no problem.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried for the scorp at all. It's just that..

1) His home is filled with brown recluse and
2) he's running about trying to catch them ;)

I think that's what everyone's all excited about :)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Sorry carpe, just trying to make a point that they shouldn't be taken lightly
i was not refering to their venom, i meant that they are not very agressive, and usually run from confrontation. Believe me, i know what they can do.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Carpe do you have any pics of that scorp you mentioned, also there's a post with a scorp eating a black widow, don't see why it couldn't take a recluse no problem.
No, there aren't but two photos of it in existence as far as I know, and it lives in Iran if memory serves. Now, first off,(1) I do think that the L. reclusa poses a serious threat to Pandinus(John), (2) this spider is as good as munched as far as any scorp that finds one, especially C. vittatus, since they have a "thing" for spiders.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, that which does not suck the life from me, only serves to make me stronger, plus, again, I have been living with them for at least 9 years. i'm not saying they are not dangerous, i am just saying that i do not feel threatened by them. they primarily live in my basement. but sometimes wander up. in any case, most are not very big, and i have seen much much bigger.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry John, I really do feel that all of us here still see this as one of our own in harm's way, be *&%$#@ careful.

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My friend in Wichita who owns the World Treasures museum has them in his house as well. He has these sticky traps in the corners and under his bed and there are always bunches of the things stuck to them. He has never been bitten by one nor has any of his family members. It still seems like just a matter of time. Those things just give me the creeps.
Kelly

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Sorry John, I really do feel that all of us here still see this as one of our own in harm's way, be *&%$#@ careful.
ditto .

Gravy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ermmm No seriously Id make some kind of trench round my bed with my desert hairies/ dune scorps in.

That would so freak me out be careful ! Mebbes you should let your evil emp share your bed with you to scare off them spiders :p

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gravy said:
Ermmm No seriously Id make some kind of trench round my bed with my desert hairies/ dune scorps in.

That would so freak me out be careful !
That sounds like a good idea! Just make sure they don't decide to visit you during the night. ;P

Last edited:

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Watch out for those recluses, they are nothing to mess with. I'd take a bite from my T's or my scorps before getting near one of those things. Very toxic to humans.
I'd wonder whether "very toxic" is the appropriate phrase. Certainly nothing to mess around with, but they only cause necrotic tissue damage. (Nothing to worry about there ;) ) Ok, what I mean is that systemic effects seem rare, if they exist at all, so the biggest danger from the bite is the danger of secondary infection. Yes, it could leave a large scar, but unless I'm missing something, it would be very difficult for a bite to turn life threatening.

That said, if they can bite through a scorpion claw, or strike fast enough to stop an on-coming telson, I would be very surprised.

Chris

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
essentially, if they can kill a scorp, they deserve the meal.

Zach33

Arachnopeon
protheus said:
I'd wonder whether "very toxic" is the appropriate phrase. Certainly nothing to mess around with, but they only cause necrotic tissue damage. (Nothing to worry about there ;) ) Ok, what I mean is that systemic effects seem rare, if they exist at all, so the biggest danger from the bite is the danger of secondary infection. Yes, it could leave a large scar, but unless I'm missing something, it would be very difficult for a bite to turn life threatening.

That said, if they can bite through a scorpion claw, or strike fast enough to stop an on-coming telson, I would be very surprised.

Chris

I believe if untreated the hole from the bite will just continue to get larger and larger. I could see this being life threatening if you were unable to somehow reach medical attention for ALONG time... :?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Zach33 said:
I believe if untreated the hole from the bite will just continue to get larger and larger. I could see this being life threatening if you were unable to somehow reach medical attention for ALONG time... :?
correct...

also, the damage that occurs, especially if it starts to make a "crater" doesn't usually heal on it's own. meaning...you get to have a hole in your body permanently, unless you have surgery of course. lady i used to work with got bit on the leg (calf iirc) and she had a hole about as big around as a 50 cent piece there permanently...maybe 1/8" deep.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so, you guys have some normal way of slowing this venom? Or is it just a matter of going to the hospital?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Raan_Jodus said:
so, you guys have some normal way of slowing this venom? Or is it just a matter of going to the hospital?
I'd say definite trip to make sure it's cleaned out good and take meds as soon as possible.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Believe me, Brown Recluses don't want to warm up to human beings neither desire to bite us. Chill. Personally I would love to take a couple off your hands. About feeding them to your scorps, there is not a more perfectly adapted hunter of spiders than a scorpion. But not your big emperors they are liable to ignore the unknown biochemical threat. Brown Recluses are quite sneaky opportunistic killers, but a Centruroides should be able to deal with one immediately. Mainly due to setae hairs over it's body and pectines (comb-like appendages) beneath it's body, that act as movement detectors and chemical receptors. Once the Brown Recluse scuttles the Centruroides should be all over it like flies on you know what. But if they are well fed they (scorps) may just ignore the spiders and then you have a true concern. Scorpions could be well armoured with their hard chitin (exoskeleton) against potential Recluse attacks. There is risk involved.