Brown Recluse?

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Disregard...

Last edited:

Noshownate

Arachnopeon
I wish theyre was a way of knowing by looking at a wound what it is. I hear spider bites will have the bullseye and in middle white bump and also two little fang marks i guess would be the giveaway or not i don't know. I just know friends that have had flesh eating things happen to them from a little wound like i had, still i have no clue what caused this thing on my leg. I don't have health insurance so i dont want to just go to a doctor to misdiagnose and charge me a grand. Here in southwest florida we have a ton of critters moving evrywhere big difference from Boston I'l Tell ya. It kinda suck that theyre are soo many things it COULD be, Some sites say ice it down, some people say warm it soo it seems this subject maybe isn't completely understood. Every mark i get on my body I get paranoid and think its flesh eating something, prob didnt help that my roommate a few months ago had a huge hole in his forearm and i had to help change gauze awww sicck trust me. i really appreciate the help wish theyre were better ways of identifying wounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish theyre was a way of knowing by looking at a wound what it is. I hear spider bites will have the bullseye and in middle white bump and also two little fang marks i guess would be the giveaway or not i don't know. I just know friends that have had flesh eating things happen to them from a little wound like i had, still i have no clue what caused this thing on my leg. I don't have health insurance so i dont want to just go to a doctor to misdiagnose and charge me a grand. Here in southwest florida we have a ton of critters moving evrywhere big difference from Boston I'l Tell ya. It kinda suck that theyre are soo many things it COULD be, Some sites say ice it down, some people say warm it soo it seems this subject maybe isn't completely understood. Every mark i get on my body I get paranoid and think its flesh eating something, prob didnt help that my roommate a few months ago had a huge hole in his forearm and i had to help change gauze awww sicck trust me. i really appreciate the help wish theyre were better ways of identifying wounds.

Check for health programs within your county. Many times there is help available with regard to healthcare but many do not know that it is out there. I'm not sure what sources you looked at regarding the treatment options but WebMD is a good source. Just keep an eye on things. I have not read through this entire thread but if no one has suggested it, slap some antibiotic ointment on the area as well. It may help and definitely won't hurt. I think you can buy over-the-counter ointments that contain 3 fairly broad spectrum antibiotics that will target a few more types of bacteria than ones containing just a single one. No amount of advice on the forums is a substitute for a physician though so look into programs in your area ok;)

Last edited by a moderator:

nikinizor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
recluses in NW

LOL WOW who ever told you there are not recluse in washington seattle area is a complete moron. Dont try to insult me via these forums, i have seen plenty of recluse bites. This is the most active time for people to be bit, As they try and enter peoples houses/garages to get some warmth. One of the most retarded things i have ever heard some one say on these forums.

I had a best freind get bit last year, left a 2inch crater in his wrist, he almost lost his thumb.
But hey what the hell do i know.... gl with your bite. But the above guy is right that could be any from of bite/irratation.
I have to agree with you and having been in Olympia WA since 97...(was immediatly warned by locals of the recluse being a common spider here...several times) and have seen quite a few bites and heard a plethora of brown recluse stories(ya ya ya stories are stories) I found one my self a couple years ago but didnt keep it(I am a tarantula guy!) and on a side note found one in south dakota that was verified by a spider expert and also had them in our basement in pennsylvania as a kid...all places that ''are not in thier territory''...so I dont have any faith at all in that map of thier territory...as for telling what kind of spider from a blurry pic, who knows! good luck with the bite(or herpes lol)

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you mean "brown spider", yes we have those here. The brown spider has a pretty enormous range, and in fact can be found almost everywhere.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have to agree with you and having been in Olympia WA since 97...(was immediatly warned by locals of the recluse being a common spider here...several times) and have seen quite a few bites and heard a plethora of brown recluse stories(ya ya ya stories are stories) I found one my self a couple years ago but didnt keep it(I am a tarantula guy!) and on a side note found one in south dakota that was verified by a spider expert and also had them in our basement in pennsylvania as a kid...all places that ''are not in thier territory''...so I dont have any faith at all in that map of thier territory...as for telling what kind of spider from a blurry pic, who knows! good luck with the bite(or herpes lol)
Lol dude go look up the natural habitat of the brown recluse. jcornish86 you too. Lol. You guys crack me up. :rolleyes: And I am not insulting you jcornish86, you are just plain wrong. :}
MAYBE you will learn something by doing a little research.
I'll give you the link just to spare you the effort. (and remember the white areas DONT have them lol)

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...+recluse+spider+habitat+range&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

Vvx thanks for the laugh! Better watch out for the brown ones. :eek:

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there are 13 loxosceles sp. in the US all ranging from SoCal east ward. most of their habitats are much different then up north. keeping a few species myself they prefer much warmer climates and appear VERY similar to regular house spiders... i HIGHLY doubt their are Loxosceles in the NW even though i have been warned I have never seen a specimen outside of captivity up here. just my 2 cents

Noshownate

Arachnopeon
i juust had a friend come by today saying they found a brown recluse in theyre truck. then i said nope brown recluse it out of theyre natural terrain/area very controversial stuff i guess.:?

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
specific treatment of Brown Recluse bite.......Massive regiment of antibiotics

there is no clearing it with my boss...catching a spider in a prison, and taking it home believe it or not could get me in trouble.

do you live in Lehigh Acres.?????? I do .... I dont live in a trailer but i do have all kinds of Palm scrub around my house sooooo.......
Wow I realize I haven't posted here in like a year or whatever, and this is waaayy late on this thread. I just have to put my 2 cents in. As far as I know there truly is no specific test (would be IgM Ab) for recluse venom as of yet. If someone comes into the ER with a necrotic lesion and says they play with spiders, the "test" that would lead a physician to even consider a spider bite would be a number of tests to rule out other causes- such as MRSA, Strep pyogenes, Mycobacterium marinum, etc...other nectrotizing bacteria. If any specific bacteria were present, it will be specifically treated as such a lesion with Abx. If not, then it might be considered a "bite" of some sort- then the treatment of a "recluse" (not in SFLa) bite would be a "massive regiment of Antibiotics"- to both treat what actually might be the cause (they actually probably still are thinking bacterial etiology) and to prevent secondary infections of the wound.

The bottom line is that you'd think with the Age of Information, we would be better informed- we are not, maybe worse. I live in Lawrence, KS and the 2000+ recluses in a house is not only true, but is something that is not even uncommon here. That study is fact and people don't want to believe it, but yet there most likely are NO L. reclusa in WA or SFLa but people are so quick to adopt it as fact. I caught over 300 in ONE SUMMER in my tiny apartment by just scooping them into individual cups if they were on my floor or under the sink. We have recluses (real ones) like certain places have ants. And you know what- I bet Lawrence Memorial Hospital probably diagnoses somewhere around ZERO people per year with true/confirmed brown recluse bites.

Regarding recluse bites it is highly highly highly unlikely than any necrotizing lesion is actually caused by the bite of L. reclusa or any other Loxosceles. The don't even have opposable fangs! Unless you wake up one day and have a crazy lesion and find a smashed recluse in your sheets or if you have a bad bite on your leg and you find a smashed recluse on your leg or in your jeans- it is probably bacterial. Any simple erythematous pruritic bump could be 20 billion things/bites/infections. The vast majority are bacterial infections.

-Jordan

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will give $100 to anyone who can lead me to a place where Brown recluses occur in south central British Columbia. from Kelowna to Osoyoos.
I'll only need to see a few of this locally abundant species. It has to be obviously not planted.
And if you waste my time, you owe me $25.

What have you got to lose?