Brown recluse problems

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I have noticed a LOT of brown recluse spiders around my house lately Does anyone one know a humane way to remove them I ordinarily wouldn't mind any type of spider but I am scared to death of being bit by one after i saw this

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep thats a reclusa bite for sure. You can tell by the tell tale signature violin mark forming in the wound.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have seen that image, and the sequence of images which precede it, and personally I am not convinced this is a genuine Loxosceles bite.

But you still don't want to be bitten by a recluse spider. My suggestion would be to purchase, from your local Wal-Mart or hardware store, one of these bottles of ant repellant. It is a granular substance which you pour out around your house's perimeter, and it keeps the bugs from entering the house. I believe it is insecticide based, so it should also work for recluse spiders.

Lol, Buthus...{D

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wtf?!? Hope you´re kidding ^^
maybe..but whats weirder yet...is that its cousin the Sicarius, leaves a wound that will form into a shape that has most often been described as a tuba.
:?

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
catch them and ship them to John, reclusa on here lol
If anybody actually wants them i will try to catch them and ship them just PM me im not gonna charge for them all i ask is cost of shipping which i have no idea what it would cost but i cant imagine it being very much

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Trying to catch them could be a good way to get the very bite you want to avoid. I may be wrong but I think they're on the defensive side.

Glue traps work somewhat well if you get a bunch and put them in the right place. Of course they just get everything...

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IIRC, they require counterpressure to bite humans. Which is why so many people get bitten when putting on their shoes, or rolling over in bed. But I'm no expert. Just regurgitating what I've read (likely on these forums).

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IIRC, they require counterpressure to bite humans. Which is why so many people get bitten when putting on their shoes, or rolling over in bed. But I'm no expert. Just regurgitating what I've read (likely on these forums).
I agree ...mostly.
They DO have an amazing frontal attack bite ...they strike their prey fast and usually will circle their prey and bite several times from different angles.

They have been there in and around your house the entire time. A population explosion may be the reason you have noticed them now...or maybe its because you're paying more attention to whats crawling around you because of all the attention to the species on the hobby forums.
Studies have been made of reclusa populations within large houses that have been around for generations ...households that have NO record of any family member having mysterious wounds. Comes down to the fact that humans and reclusa live together just fine and have been doing so for a LONG time.

Sticky traps may put a small dent in the population for a spell, but will most likely be but a reminder that you have a healthy population living with you ...a population that renews itself very quickly.

I say take the step lightly be kind approach to your situation. Its all bout karma. ;)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just noticed that the original poster is in North Carolina. NONE of the range maps I've seen for this species includes North Carolina, and this has been confirmed by a Clemson University Entomologist I have met, Dr. Robert Wolff. We do not have viable populations of L. reclusa in the Carolinas. Since I live in SC myself, I know that many, many people tend to call every spider they see a "Brown Recluse", and one of the most common species found indoors, Kukulcania hibernalis, is very often mistaken for the dreaded "Brown Recluse", especially the mature males. I would be willing to go out on that proverbial limb to say that the spiders which hardlucktattoo is seeing in his house are most likely K. hibernalis, which are harmless, if messy, spiders. I'd really like to see a photo or two posted of these "Brown Recluses", since if that IS what they are, that would surely be of interest to the Entomology/Arachnology academic community.

pitbulllady

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just noticed that the original poster is in North Carolina. NONE of the range maps I've seen for this species includes North Carolina, and this has been confirmed by a Clemson University Entomologist I have met, Dr. Robert Wolff. We do not have viable populations of L. reclusa in the Carolinas. Since I live in SC myself, I know that many, many people tend to call every spider they see a "Brown Recluse", and one of the most common species found indoors, Kukulcania hibernalis, is very often mistaken for the dreaded "Brown Recluse", especially the mature males. I would be willing to go out on that proverbial limb to say that the spiders which hardlucktattoo is seeing in his house are most likely K. hibernalis, which are harmless, if messy, spiders. I'd really like to see a photo or two posted of these "Brown Recluses", since if that IS what they are, that would surely be of interest to the Entomology/Arachnology academic community.

pitbulllady
I agree, this includes the male hibernalis that looks even more like a recluse.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could be the case ...but dont rely too much on those old range maps. Reclusa have been spreading around fast with mankind. Id be very surprised if there werent large populations in states located near but outside the range maps.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could be the case ...but dont rely too much on those old range maps. Reclusa have been spreading around fast with mankind. Id be very surprised if there werent large populations in states located near but outside the range maps.
this is true as well, but not to "dis" hardlucktat, if he is seeing them that much in NC,it probably isnt recluse

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this is true as well, but not to "dis" hardlucktat, if he is seeing them that much in NC,it probably isnt recluse
I agree; while there MIGHT be an isolated population, or out-of-place individual, of L. reclusa in Wilson, NC, it's doubtful that any one house in that area is heavily infested with these spiders. On the other hand, you probably would be astonished at how many K. hibernalis live inside the average Carolina home! These things are so numerous! I'm not "dissin'" hardlucktattoo, either, but having seen so many K. hibernalis, especially mature males, misidentified as "Brown Recluses", I have to remain skeptical of a "Recluse" infestation until I see a photo that can be verified as having been taken at that residence, which clearly shows a L. reclusa, or better yet, he can send me a specimen. I keep L. mactans, so it's not like I can't handle venomous arachnids. I'd certainly know if it was indeed L. reclusa, or K. hibernalis, or one of the "six-eyed" relatives of the Recluse, like Scytodes thoracica(we've got a very healthy population of those, too, indoors and outdoors) or Pholcus phalangiodes, which are also sometimes mistaken for "Brown Recluses". Still, if I was a gambler, I'd be putting my money on good ole' K. hibernalis.

pitbulllady

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you mean the violin thumb lol.
lol actually i think the original one without the real violin is a photoshop. I've seen pics like that before that turned out to be the work of that awesome program.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol actually i think the original one without the real violin is a photoshop. I've seen pics like that before that turned out to be the work of that awesome program.
well, maybe but my bro sees allot of flesh eating bacteria cases in Houston and that stuff is plain wicked looking