Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa)

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
I know what everyone might be thinking, I know this fool isnt about to say he wants a Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa). Well yes I do lol, the reason I want one is because I'm interested in getting into HOTS but only to a certain degree/limit lol.

I want something that is a display hot, but not something that reach a good length and tag me cause i can promise you I'm not faster than any viper, rattle snake etc that can reach out in touch me before i can pull my arm back and I don't want to risk trying.

Also you cant just get a jar and cover a 4 foot snake with it and be "Safe" but you can always do that with a spider lol.

That being said,

Who on this board has and/or had some or one of these and what's the care for them? besides getting info from this site I'm going to do a lot of research because i know these guys are super medically significant!!!

Thanks for all info and warnings hereafter.

I'm reading wikie and it says "As indicated by its name, this species is rarely aggressive, and actual brown recluse bites are rare. The spider usually bites only when pressed against the skin, such as when tangled up within clothes, bath towels, or in bedding" are their bites REALLY rare? because sometimes wikie is known to give off false info

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i have kept them and found them to be very boring spiders. :eek:

not nearly as interesting as the myriads of other spiders out there.

if you really needed to go the way of "hots" then there are much better and more interesting choices out there ;)

latrodectus, sicarius, phoneutria, funnel webs, etc to name just a few (3 out of the 4 might be super-hots if that makes sense- compare copperhead hot to taipan hot :D).

but those aside, there are also some fantastically interesting spiders that aren't deadly too.

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
i have kept them and found them to be very boring spiders. :eek:

not nearly as interesting as the myriads of other spiders out there.

if you really needed to go the way of "hots" then there are much better and more interesting choices out there ;)

latrodectus, sicarius, phoneutria, funnel webs, etc to name just a few (3 out of the 4 might be super-hots if that makes sense- compare copperhead hot to taipan hot :D).

but those aside, there are also some fantastically interesting spiders that aren't deadly too.
I love the quick response thanks, but I thought there were no funnel webs in the USA? I thought they were only in australia? i seen this all black funnel web one I wanted but i dont know if its here or just out in the aussie terrority.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I love the quick response thanks, but I thought there were no funnel webs in the USA? I thought they were only in australia? i seen this all black funnel web one I wanted but i dont know if its here or just out in the aussie terrority.
yeah, i was talking about Atrax and Hadronyche for that part. but we do have some funnel web spiders here in the states :)

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
yeah, i was talking about Atrax and Hadronyche for that part. but we do have some funnel web spiders here in the states :)
nice!

know of any breeders off the top of your head?

how medically significant are they 1 - 20% 30 - 50% or 60% and up?

i think im going to email ken the bug guy

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They really don't do all that much... I've seen them in my yard, and they just kind of look at me.... BUT I do know a guy who has a documented bite from them that almost died, they can be nasty.... As far as interesting... not so much. My Black Widows are some what more interesting, at least they have nice coloring and move around...

Is this your first hot?

If it is, then find something like a widow that likes to stay in it's web, they are clumsy and easy to deal with.... If it's not.... then by all means, just be careful and don't forget to close the lid!!!

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
They really don't do all that much... I've seen them in my yard, and they just kind of look at me.... BUT I do know a guy who has a documented bite from them that almost died, they can be nasty.... As far as interesting... not so much. My Black Widows are some what more interesting, at least they have nice coloring and move around...

Is this your first hot?

If it is, then find something like a widow that likes to stay in it's web, they are clumsy and easy to deal with.... If it's not.... then by all means, just be careful and don't forget to close the lid!!!
Thanks orchid, I am actually in the process of getting some widows so I am going to shy away from the Recluses because these would've been my first hot even though you gotta dive into hots eventually if you want them I should get one less so burning lol.. and im also looking into some hots from the suggestions above.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want a Loxosceles laeta myself-- yep, because they are the beasts of the recluse world. I keep a few brown recluse around for educational purposes. Good to show the kids and parents what the spiders look like. Other than that , they are-as stated above- a not-so-impressive captive and if they do escape, they're gone! That being said, if you want one, get one. I still get a buzz when I find them.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks orchid, I am actually in the process of getting some widows so I am going to shy away from the Recluses because these would've been my first hot even though you gotta dive into hots eventually if you want them I should get one less so burning lol.. and im also looking into some hots from the suggestions above.
Best of luck with your widows!!! They are pretty :)
However I would like to mention no to petting them lol... though I've seen many a picture of people doing so, it's not suggested lol.... ENJOY!

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
loxosceles versus Latrodectus

At this point in my life after some thirty years of rearing spiders, i still love my Latrodectus!! Although Loxosceles are fast and interesting, I feel beginner hots should be less medically significant venomous taxa like Latrodectus!!
At present, I have latrodectus mactans, geometicus plus Loxosceles
laeta, rufescens and reclusa.plus 2 Sicarius terrorus(males only).
I am also iterested in Diplopda, and Chilopoda.
Loxosceles need a sheet of construction paper against one side of the cage,
and some soil substrate to absorb any soiling from defecation.
well- ventilated cage, small mess screen or small holes in the lid as they are excellent escape artists. keep warm no tank light necessary room temps usually best! they are not communal and will eat each other at any opprotunity.I haved used crumbled paper towel in plastic deli containers with good results.prefers soft bodied even dead fresh killed insects are ggod.
Latrodectus no paper needed, add sticks to help build web,well ventilated, and room temperature.feed weekly or even biweekly if too fat.most insects are accepted. cheers, tom

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All you need for these is a deli and a leaf. They are pretty bold for their size. They spin a web on surfaces to run on, they run in on a prey, bite and step back waiting for the venom to take effect. Not so boring in that sense but they are small, something that we would complain about. Very easy to keep though imo.