brown recluse <<<GRAPHIC BITE PICTURES>>>

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was looking at pics of brown recluse bites last night. Ahhh there is some horrific pics. Its amazing that such a tiny spider can do so much damage... But then i read like 60% of bites dont get horrible and the bite will only look like a normal spider bite. I wonder if this is true... Have Any of you brown recluse owners out there been bitten? Id be interested to find out the result of it... here are a couple pics i found.... I dont no maybe they are computer animated or fake or something because it seems too amazingly destructive....

<Pics Removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool! I already seen that picture. Wrong forum I think :(.
Dom

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had one of them last summer. I ran into a lady at the pet shop who overheard my converstation about it and told me she was bit by one a few years back. She said she was in the hospital for 7 months. She was all so alergic to bees and said that she had a sever reaction to getting bit. she said she had a huge gaping hole in her arm where she was bit. She showed me scars. It was like 5in in diamiter. Its amazing that she still has an arm. from then on I didnt open that container with him in it unless to feed.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it was a very bad choice to post these pics without some type of warning. While it doesn't bother me, there are many people who wouldn't like to see something like this. Please be more considerate next time.

Also, this post belongs in the "other arachnids" board. As this is not a tarantula.

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
I think it was a very bad choice to post these pics without some type of warning. While it doesn't bother me, there are many people who wouldn't like to see something like this. Please be more considerate next time.

Also, this post belongs in the "other arachnids" board. As this is not a tarantula.
allright sorry i didnt even think about putting it in the other thing, so dont take it all offensive or anything :(

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There was actually an article on Venom ER (APL) last night about Recluse bites. The venom just keeps on dissolving skin and muscle tissue. It takes months of skin grafting to repair the damage....presuming of course that limb (if applicable) is actually saveable. I'd take my chances with a mean old OBT any day!!!

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is what I try to tell people. Some Of my friends think that my T's are horrible creatures. But I always tell them that the smaller SPIDERS are more of a threat. Those pic's are gross. Why some one would keep a Brown recluse, or a black widow as a pet is beyond me. Not saying that the people in the pic's kept them as pets,....who knows. :eek:

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read the leg bite was when a guy was sleeping and he went to brush it off and he got bit...ahhh could you imagine that would hurt so bad....

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Apparently it barely hurt at all, the actual bite that is.

Google image search "brown recluse bites".

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those pictures are listed at snopes as a hoax. Brown Recluse's have necrotic venom, but not that severe. My Grandfather and Uncle both have been bitten by these spiders and neither had this kind of reaction.

Jeri

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
really? i figured it looked to dramatic to be an actual bite....

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those spiders aren't agressive but they're skittish. The only thing negative is their necrotic venom.
Dom

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ummm, it looks more like they got bite by an angry dog,rather than an invert. I can understand the skin rotting but what about the whole cut open thing? Sorry I don't know much about brown recluces. LoL

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A buddy of mine whose dad is a prison gaurd said they have problems with brown recluse bites. The spiders climb into bed with the inmates and when the inmate toss or turn, the spiders bite down. A bunch of inmates got bite pretty bad. Big necrotic sores on their bellies and arms. They had to fumigate the whole wing.

biznacho

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The scariest quote from that Venom ER episode last night, was if the Loxosceles reclusa venom proves virulent and destructive to an individual's body, be ready to see a plastic surgeon.

There are between 12-13 species of recluse spiders in the US, depending on your sources, about half will not even be recognized on many sites because they have only bare scientific significance. Our Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa) is the dangerous one, this is the single culprit of major necroticism. Our most venomous native. But there is also small pocket colonies of the Chilean Brown Recluse (Loxosceles laeta) in Southern California, but there has been no frequent bite reports, and usually inhabits cellers and other hideaways, and extremely shy. It is supposedly even more serious and virulent than even the L.reclusa and quite large representive of the genus. Also several cities throughout the States have been colonized by the Mediterranean Recluse Spider (Loxosceles refuscens) but the bite and venom potency is significantly less than L.reclusa and L.laeta.

Here is a map containing the natural distribution of native Recluse Spiders. The most notorious being of course L.reclusa. The others are considered significantly less medically threatening to humans and less likely to cause major irrepairable body destruction. But should always be cautious and safe in treating any Recluse bites because the potential for necrotism remains in each species.

Here is the map of the major native species: http://spiders.ucr.edu/images/colorloxmap.gif

Other great sites:

Entomology - Myth of the Brown Recluse
http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html

Brown Recluse and Other Recluse Spider Management Guidelines--UC IPM http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7468.html (check the links on this page!)

In the next week I am going to come into the possession of a couple of L.apachea. Woohoo! Looking forward to maintaining these fascinating little creatures!

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I heard somewhere that the necrosis wasn't caused by the venom but by bacterial that thirve in the jaws of brown recluses. true? or someone yanking my chain?

biznacho

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
biznacho said:
I heard somewhere that the necrosis wasn't caused by the venom but by bacterial that thirve in the jaws of brown recluses. true? or someone yanking my chain?

biznacho

Someone is pulling your chain, Loxosceles venom contains toxin(s) that lead to necroticism. It is related to or a very close cousin to one of thee most toxic spiders in the whole entire world, Six-Eyed Sand Crab Spider (Sicarius sp.) of southern Africa and this little baddie contains a extremely virulent cytotoxin in it's venom that can lead to massive internal hemorraging. Luckily, it too is extremely shy and retiring creature, hiding under the sand and has to threatened to the point of percieved bodily harm or death in order to provoke it to bite. If these systematics were caused by a bacteria, why wouldn't more spiders and arachnids carry it? ;)

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmmm, It's kind of ironic. Florida only has two venomous spider species in the entire state, and yet they happen to be the worst!!!!!! the brown recluse and the black widow, lucky me. :(

Now I'm scarred.