Brown Boxing Your Tarantula - Supply and Demand - and getting things illegal

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also want to thank Smitty78 for his post ,which further expounds on my previous posts .This thread will bring about an appreciation and awareness of what does happen ,and remove the idea that you make a killing financially doing this .

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Things like that can be worked out I'm sure .I think if enough of you scorp guys and gals got together ,you could make it worthwhile to some of the Dealer's and get what you want at reasonable pricing .
Let's hope so. I've been selling things and saving all my pennies. hopping that some new stuff would become available this spring and summer. I know scorpions aren't as big as tarantulas but I think there are enough hobbiest that it would be profitable to bring in a few new species each year. I know a few people, including myself that would be willing to spend some money on scorpions.

JOhn

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's hope so. I've been selling things and saving all my pennies. hopping that some new stuff would become available this spring and summer. I know scorpions aren't as big as tarantulas but I think there are enough hobbiest that it would be profitable to bring in a few new species each year. I know a few people, including myself that would be willing to spend some money on scorpions.

JOhn
I know I'd definitely be willing to lay out some money for new scorp species. The tarantula hobby is just so much more advanced than the scorp hobby at this point. I can see why importers are a little reluctant to import large amounts of scorps since it seems to be a few die-hard hobbyists and then people that are happy sticking with a few species that are already here. I'd personally love to collect as many Centruroides, Tityus and Hottentotta as possible.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not to many people import scorpions from what Ive seen..Or at least CB ones!
But lately it looks like more and more new species of scorps have been comin in from some of the dealers recently.
From what I understand the scorpion hobby is a milllion times worse with brown boxing things in :X
-Chris

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't say how many times I've seen classified ads with some rarer scorp species and then been disappointed when I realized they're located in Europe or Asia. Like John mentioned before, many of the common species in Europe are impossible to find in the US. The hobby in Europe has probably 10 times the species than you can find easily here. When it comes to brown boxing tarantulas, it's mostly a matter of cost. Scorpions, on the other hand, it's mostly a matter of having no other options for some species.

On a related note, scorpion hobbyists really need to focus on captive breeding so when species do enter the US they are here to stay. I know there are some species that have been imported in the past, but CB specimens are very rarely available.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no offense to dealers, but i have always said you have to be either a bit crazy or a bit bad at math or REALLY love the hobby to want to be a dealer... it is NOT an easy road to riches!
Uh-oh! I'm almost certainly doomed to be a bug dealer.... I'm all three! :eek:{D I feel sorry for my Dad trying to assist me with math homework when I was in school. I'm actually really trying to understand these posts about business. :eek::8o

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is what somebody emailed me today, and I'm pretty sure it was a result of earlier in this thread...

"U dealers dont know anything about enjoying this hobby. U are just evil pigs that make us hobbiests have to buy your overpriced stock. With all the economic problems why cant u *ssholes get it? It looks like Ill just have to take matters into my own hands and become a dealer too but I won't rip people off like U!"

...Oh the life of a dealer, we just got it made don't we :mad: After working all week, and thats 7 days of it, and from sun up until sun down, and then some, yeah us dealers are just evil pigs. Oh did I mention that I support two kids also? Got plenty of bills too. Since the economy has tanked, can you guess which directing my finances went. No wonder I'm a hermit, and spend very little time on these boards. Arachnoboards has just gone to hell lately, y'all enjoy it :mad:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
don't be too upset, him/her'll figure out what being a dealer is really like soon enough:}

hopefully they'll hang on to their day job;)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just in case some people start crap I have no conection with that e mail at all. I dont know swifty and I have no idea of his e mail address, besides, If I needed to say something you all must know by now that I say whatever I need to say it in the open. All that I thought I had to say I stated it already.

Thanks.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd think it's pretty easy to differentiate your writing style from that e-mail anyway, Fran. ;)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is what somebody emailed me today, and I'm pretty sure it was a result of earlier in this thread...

"U dealers dont know anything about enjoying this hobby. U are just evil pigs that make us hobbiests have to buy your overpriced stock. With all the economic problems why cant u *ssholes get it? It looks like Ill just have to take matters into my own hands and become a dealer too but I won't rip people off like U!"
:wall::wall::wall::wall:
You gotta be kidding me

ccamaleon3000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

...Oh the life of a dealer, we just got it made don't we :mad: After working all week, and thats 7 days of it, and from sun up until sun down, and then some, yeah us dealers are just evil pigs. Oh did I mention that I support two kids also? Got plenty of bills too. Since the economy has tanked, can you guess which directing my finances went. No wonder I'm a hermit, and spend very little time on these boards. Arachnoboards has just gone to hell lately, y'all enjoy it :mad:
The last time i check you were a breeder Swifty no a dealer {D some people been watching fox news and will get bad info about people {D

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See that is sad! Swift I wouldn't let a person like that get to you.. Obviously they ain't got the jewels to come out in say something like that in public!

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think

Wanted to point out I think that email is from someone being sarcastic about the fact that a dealer has it made Am I correct there Swift?

Wait no, I misread that. I did not relize the responce was your responce.....just did not think anyone could really think that.
I will post more tomorrow

Last edited:

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, to me it looks like it's either someone very young and inmature thats learning to be anti-everything, and got caught up into the discussion yesterday, or more likely somebody pretending to be passionately against dealers and just against me in general. I've seen this before, but it still pisses me off :mad:

To all of you that want to brown box, have at it! See how long you can get away with it.

I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention, but for the last two years, I have not gotten anything imported. Now I may have traded for something I have on my list that was, but not directly. When Frank Somma quit his "great" enteprise, that was the last of it. I have always bred quite a few species, but in the last two years everything on my tarantula pricelist has been coming from my shop, or from other breeders, and hobbyists. My business is focused on the successful breeding of U.S. breeders and hobbyists. But see the part about the prices is where people differ, and my prices are based on the animals and factors such as, difficulty in breeding, popularity, clutch size, and how absent they have been in the hobby. I don't go on other dealers sites to come up with my prices. I'm not a follower. My prices reflect what the animals are worth, not what some hobbyist that got lucky is willing to sell out for.
If people think my prices are too high, you have a right to shop somewhere else, isn't that a beautiful thing? No hard feelings.

But if people think they can get together and bully my prices down, good luck. The hobby is growing at alarming rates right now, but it seems the thrill of keeping these animals is getting watered down, and their being thrown around like baseball cards.

Dealers need a pat on the back if you ask me. The stress level is way high, the workload is increadable, and most have about a 5 yr. shelflife. Does anybody remember Bryant Capiz? 95% of my customers I love for being there and supporting me, but there is that 5% that has stressed me to the point at times that has made me snap at my kids, fight with my wife, and question just what the hell I am doing in this business.
All this "my" hobby, and "our" hobby, look the hobby is like the earth, it doesn't belong to just one person, or group of people.

Arachnoboards is a great site, but has grown immensely in the last few years, and has become in some aspects as a place for personal battle of opinions, and I'm truly sorry for getting caught up into it yesterday. To Fran, no hard feelings on my part.

That's about it, I have to go to work :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, to me it looks like it's either someone very young and inmature thats learning to be anti-everything, and got caught up into the discussion yesterday, or more likely somebody pretending to be passionately against dealers and just against me in general. I've seen this before, but it still pisses me off :mad:

To all of you that want to brown box, have at it! See how long you can get away with it.

I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention, but for the last two years, I have not gotten anything imported. Now I may have traded for something I have on my list that was, but not directly. When Frank Somma quit his "great" enteprise, that was the last of it. I have always bred quite a few species, but in the last two years everything on my tarantula pricelist has been coming from my shop, or from other breeders, and hobbyists. My business is focused on the successful breeding of U.S. breeders and hobbyists. But see the part about the prices is where people differ, and my prices are based on the animals and factors such as, difficulty in breeding, popularity, clutch size, and how absent they have been in the hobby. I don't go on other dealers sites to come up with my prices. I'm not a follower. My prices reflect what the animals are worth, not what some hobbyist that got lucky is willing to sell out for.
If people think my prices are too high, you have a right to shop somewhere else, isn't that a beautiful thing? No hard feelings.

But if people think they can get together and bully my prices down, good luck. The hobby is growing at alarming rates right now, but it seems the thrill of keeping these animals is getting watered down, and their being thrown around like baseball cards.

Dealers need a pat on the back if you ask me. The stress level is way high, the workload is increadable, and most have about a 5 yr. shelflife. Does anybody remember Bryant Capiz? 95% of my customers I love for being there and supporting me, but there is that 5% that has stressed me to the point at times that has made me snap at my kids, fight with my wife, and question just what the hell I am doing in this business.
All this "my" hobby, and "our" hobby, look the hobby is like the earth, it doesn't belong to just one person, or group of people.

Arachnoboards is a great site, but has grown immensely in the last few years, and has become in some aspects as a place for personal battle of opinions, and I'm truly sorry for getting caught up into it yesterday. To Fran, no hard feelings on my part.

No hard feelings at all on my part either :).

Im quite passionate with discussions, and its true sometimes the wording plays a big role. It depends in how I write it and how the next person interpret it.
English is not my first language so thats deff a little handicap when it comes to discussions.

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Kelly, I believe you run a GREAT biz, I've only bought from you a couple of times, and I've been VERY pleased. I'm a novice mostly, and only own 7 T's, but I believe guys like you make the hobby much more enjoyable!!! I have a pretty firm grasp of economics, and realize the work and sacrifice that goes into your T keeping must be pretty significant. Therefore, I have no problem paying a good price for a T. Keep your chin up, and don't change a thing. Just wanted to let you know I support you hard-working salesman, as I'm a salesman myself!!!! Jason

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

lol aww dont be too worked up on this cheer up, im sure if money was what u were after a diffrent market would be the choice i mean do people rely make a ton of money on T's? it seams if u wanted pets and money the dog, fish and bird industries are a better wa0y to go. if i wasent broke i'd order more T's :) but any ways geez that e mail was harsh if that person rely wanted to help the hobby they can hook me up with some free P metalicas and subfuscas

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well

Well said ...don't think there is much I can add ;) Keep up the breeding efforts you do a great job of it!