Brood survival rate?

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
I have an Adult female Asian forest scorpion (Heterometrus longimanus) that gave birth to roughly 15 scorplings. First time brood, so I gave extra care to ensure they would survive, ideal habitat, minimal handling, etc... I checked on them daily, however when the young left the mothers back 6 were found dead, 3 alive and I'm guessing mom ate the rest. The 3 survivors are healthy and have molted twice now. But is it normal for so few to survive (3 out of 15ish) or was it due to my lack of experience and not separating them in time? 13726646_10209897995231754_4262231854932894752_n.jpg 13731615_10209897997551812_6440381354307279906_n.jpg

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brood survival rate is usually 100%, but it seems your mother is in not ideal conditions. You mention ideal habitat, but there is a near empty waterdish with a sponge, there's a lack of deep soil for burrowing, lack of moisture and humidity (you can tell easily from the dry soil)

There should be no handling ever, but especially during brooding or when the young are with the mother. It causes extreme unnecessary stress to the mother and it can and will cause her to devour her brood to reclaim energy since she presumes that she may need the energy to survive herself.

I've had similar issues with my first broods, and it partially is from being new, and partially from excitement of the brood. :)

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Brood survival rate is usually 100%, but it seems your mother is in not ideal conditions. You mention ideal habitat, but there is a near empty waterdish with a sponge, there's a lack of deep soil for burrowing, lack of moisture and humidity (you can tell easily from the dry soil)

There should be no handling ever, but especially during brooding or when the young are with the mother. It causes extreme unnecessary stress to the mother and it can and will cause her to devour her brood to reclaim energy since she presumes that she may need the energy to survive herself.

I've had similar issues with my first broods, and it partially is from being new, and partially from excitement of the brood. :)

Thank you for the response and the pointers. That picture was taken as soon as I noticed she had given birth, so I had actually modified the terrarium a bit to accommodate the young. I Never actually handled her with the brood, just moved things around in the terrarium and the occasional peak under the hide every few days. At least I know for sure now that it was due to lack of experience. I will try again eventually and hopefully have better success.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for the response and the pointers. That picture was taken as soon as I noticed she had given birth, so I had actually modified the terrarium a bit to accommodate the young. I Never actually handled her with the brood, just moved things around in the terrarium and the occasional peak under the hide every few days. At least I know for sure now that it was due to lack of experience. I will try again eventually and hopefully have better success.
Good luck man. And good to hear haha. I've seen pics of people handling mothers with babies so I just assumed the worst! Apologies!

Scorpions can be difficult. Dont give up! :) Do you have a male to pair her with to try again?

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Good luck man. And good to hear haha. I've seen pics of people handling mothers with babies so I just assumed the worst! Apologies!

Scorpions can be difficult. Dont give up! :) Do you have a male to pair her with to try again?
Just the female, she was gravid when I had purchased her. Can they usually handle more than one pregnancy/birth?

I would like to breed, but I'd also like to try a few other species too so it's kind of a toss up haha since I'm new to this I want to do as much damage control as possible until I know for sure what I'm doing.

But I do want more that's for sure haha

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just the female, she was gravid when I had purchased her. Can they usually handle more than one pregnancy/birth?

I would like to breed, but I'd also like to try a few other species too so it's kind of a toss up haha since I'm new to this I want to do as much damage control as possible until I know for sure what I'm doing.

But I do want more that's for sure haha
Oh dont worry :) Just keep at it. Keep the babies on some moist coco fiber and feed them biweekly or weekly!

Experiment, find what you like. There are many types of scorpions, some more difficult/easier than others. I like to keep a wide variety so even when one of my breeding projects doesnt work out, and it happens!, I can at least take solace in some of the others working out.

They can sometimes give birth to multiple broods, certain species can do it. Not sure of yours!

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Oh dont worry :) Just keep at it. Keep the babies on some moist coco fiber and feed them biweekly or weekly!

Experiment, find what you like. There are many types of scorpions, some more difficult/easier than others. I like to keep a wide variety so even when one of my breeding projects doesnt work out, and it happens!, I can at least take solace in some of the others working out.

They can sometimes give birth to multiple broods, certain species can do it. Not sure of yours!
Right on, thanks man! How many scorpions do you own and what breeds do you keep if you don't mind me asking?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer