Broken Fangs

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, one of my very recently molted P. nigricolors has somehow managed to break her fangs. I went to give her a pinkie as her first post-molt meal and I saw her trying to bite, but no penetration. The pinkie just crawled out from under her without a scratch.
I have had this happen once before with an adult P. antinous. The difference was that the antinous was an adult female and she just forced a molt very soon after I discovered her injury. This time, the nigricolor is a juvie/sub adult and only molted a couple weeks ago.
From what I know already, the thing to do would be to crush some crix and try to get her to digest the guts basically. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd be very greatful.

Also, does anyone know if this is a Pamphobeteus thing, or just coincidence in my case? :confused:

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Gary,
If I remember correctly, Joy had a male that lost its fangs. I seem to remember her saying that she was grinding up food for it.

Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey gary, hope she pulls through ok. How broken are they, out of curiosity? Do T's leak hemolyph from broken fangs? Good luck with cricket crushing, I'm glad you're willing to go the extra mile for the girl.

Bill

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I had my late Avic Avic (I have a new one now) lose a fang on a molt. The WHOLE fang ! So she would manage to eat with one fang ok. And eventually it grew back !

As for your spider, couldnt you feed it a diet similar to what people feed slings ?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had an X. immanis years ago break both fangs. He was fortunately not far from his next molt, because I had a difficult time trying to get him to take crushed crickets. He did make it through his next molt (penultimate) without problems and with a new set of fangs.

I keep alot of Pamphobeteus and have not had this happen with one of them (knock on wood), but Xenesthis are very similar to them in alot of respects. My T however, broke his fangs on a lid that I would best describe as wire mesh ( yes I was inexperienced and didn't know any better) so I don't think it would be an accurate comparison.

Good luck. I really hope she pulls through.

John