British Museum Spirit Collection [dialup warning]

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I have posted a photo of myself holding the type specimen of Hysterocrates hercules here, but thought I'd share a few more photos of our party of five packing into the BMNH [British Museum of Natural History] spirit collection and lab.

Again, thanks to curator Jan Beccaloni for access to the collection and Stuart Longhorn for a tour of the new Darwin Centre where the old collection is now housed.]

The grand building...

This display of preserved specimens is in a semi-public private tour section of the Darwin Centre. The specimen of Scolopendra gigantea, which is marked as being collected "off the coast of Venezuela" is bigger around than my very large thumb and every bit of 14 inches in length.

Andrew Smith watches Boris Striffler and Richard Gallon

Ray Gabriel

Andrew speaks with Boris while Richard works on

Ray

Richard

tray of Tapinauchenius

Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti

Andrew and Boris

Richard

Richard and Ray in the Theraphosidae aisle

Ray holds Xenesthis immanis and the type specimen of Xenesthis montrosus

Xenesthis monstrosus type - a big girl

me holding the Poecilotheria striata type specimen!

the type specimen of Poecilotheria subfusca - my favorite spider - is at Harvard ("P. bara"), so I 'settled' for the paratypes... Quite a thrill, nonetheless

inside one of the Theraphosidae cabinets (cupboards) - the yellow jar tops denote type specimens

Last edited:

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did a darwin centre tour only two weeks ago and I never got to see any of that! Some people have all the luck:rolleyes:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I wonder if it has so much to do with luck. I'm getting the feeling it has to do with serious research ;)

Great pics! That must have been some very interesting work you've been doing there!

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great pictures Michael. Looks like some good and interesting work was done there :)

Last time I was at the BMNH in any serious capacity (attending a lecture it was), they were just starting work on the Darwin Centre :eek: Can't believe it was so long ago!

I knew should have bugged Jan and Stuart more at the dinner LOL {D

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
must have been great to be in a place with so much history (no i don't mean Andrew) and be experienced people!

bet your visit to Amsterdam was the opposit....

Eddy

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
I did the Darwin center tour in November. I wish I would have photographed the original Darwin samples. I really wanted to see the stuff you have pictures of.
The building that is the actual BMNH is a sight to behold by itself!
Jon

Redapache

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I was wondering where I can see these photos now as they are not appearing here.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the pics were hosted on exoticfauna.com, but the directory they lived in no longer exists (or at least, not to the general public)

you can try emailing of PM'ing the OP and see what he says

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the pics were hosted on exoticfauna.com, but the directory they lived in no longer exists (or at least, not to the general public)

you can try emailing of PM'ing the OP and see what he says

Yeah, I don't see the pics either.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I can't replace Michael's original pictures, but I can at least add some of my own pictures from the British Museum collection....

A typical rack of specimens in the theraphosid collection....

The tray I was most interested in, full of Tapinauchenius specimens...

Not all of them turned out to actually be Tapinauchenius, despite the label... like this one ;)

Until earlier this year, a theraphosid had not been found in Darwin's collection... the first one was found in this jar:

Myself with the type of Poecilotheria metallica...

The type of Xenesthis immanis...

Chris, working through a bunch of Smith's Aphonopelma types...

Chris (photographing some Aphonopelma types) and Richard (examining some Pterinochilus)

Stuart, Ray, Chris, and Richard hard at work....

Ahh, the type of a very nice Aphonopelma...

Yeah, that's a giant squid...

Eric

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool stuff eric.

thanks for posting some pics for us.

moose

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Resurrection!

I guess it's time for the bi-annual resurrection of this thread... Mr. Jacobi, would you be so kind as to re post the above pictures? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'm very interested in seeing them!

Thank you!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I guess it's time for the bi-annual resurrection of this thread... Mr. Jacobi, would you be so kind as to re post the above pictures? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'm very interested in seeing them!

Thank you!

+1

:worship: .