Bringing Ts back

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Not like BACK FROM THE DEAD (just imagine Zombie Ts, that'd be terrifying), I mean like, bringing them back HOME.

As some of you may remember from my post last week, I'm going to a show (S.E.A.S) this weekend. Now I don't drive so I have a 13 hour coach (bus) journey there and a slightly shorter journey back home. Still, I leave at around 3pm to arrive at like, 10pm home.

My question is basically, what's the best way to bring what I'm gonna pick up/buy back with me? I've only ever had Ts shipped to me and never had issues with that. I plan to take a suitcase with me and to buy those heat packs you can activate, but what else should I be doing?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
A soft sided cooler with good insulation would be better than a suitcase. That would allow the activated heat pack to keep them warm during the trip home. Make sure that the heat pack doesn't come in direct contact with the T's as they can get pretty warm. You could wrap it in a small towel to help. Other than that make sure there is nothing in the container that could hurt the T if the travel container were bumped or dropped.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You know some people are willing to pick up and post. I have some trustworthy folks from FB groups picking up for me then posting to Glasgow.

I know its exciting to go to first show but I bet the next time it might be worth while if you live so far from a show. I am constantly working in Glasgow so cant get down to England. Which is only place that has Arachnid shows in UK :shifty:

However a few people and myself are currently working to make a show in Scotland. We can fill tables but need to get the interest. I hope we can get things going up here too.

Enjoy yourself down there :D

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Also if you guys do end up making a show happen up there in Scotland, let me know! I'm sure it'd be somewhat easier to get than to the south end of England...

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Last June, I drove from Los Angeles to Lincoln, NE (about a 22 hour drive). I packed the spiders in a styrofoam cooler with newspaper. I didn't uses heat packs because it was in June. I did keep the cooler secured and out of direct sun light. Additionally I had a cheap thermomoter to check their temperature (probably over kill). They arrived alive and well.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Now I don't drive so I have a 13 hour coach (bus) journey there and a slightly shorter journey back home. Still, I leave at around 3pm to arrive at like, 10pm home.
Sheesh, I'm going to an expo this weekend that's a 2.5 hour drive and I'm worried about how grumpy they're gonna be when I get them home...best of luck to you! I'd also agree to go with a styrofoam cooler, probably more breathable than a suitcase.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I agree with the soft cooler or styrofoam, and the newspaper. I am unfamiliar with heating on buses, especially in England, so I'm not sure if any heat source would be needed. Definitely agree that some separation from the Ts is vital if you do need heat. Maybe the heat pack on one side, newspaper, then the Ts?
I only had a 1hr drive after buying my slings, that had me extremely worried. Best of luck to you though, hopefully everyone makes it home healthy and safe!

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be taking a little towel with me to wrap the heat pack in it. I'm assuming there'll be some for sale at the show, anyway, hopefully that's the case.
I don't think it's much different from being shipped and I did have some spiders shipped and arriving 1 day late, and they did just fine, so fingers crossed!