Bring out the gimps..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Today I received a package from The Spider Shop. I had purchased a special offer called 'The Gimps for £70.

There had been many discussions about it in other forums and FB groups about what it may contain. The only clue given is that the spiders that are sent are worth more than the £70 paid, though the spiders would be missing a limb, self doubting or in need of some TLC.

I thought about getting the deal a while back but was low on funds over the holidays, and I wanted to make sure I had the right housing for any T.

When it arrived today I couldn't wait to open it up and have a look. I was very pleasantly surprised! :)

Heres what I got-

1x Aphonopelma seemanni *Nicaragua - adult female
aseemanni2.jpg aseemani1.jpg

1x Ceratogyrus darlingi - unsexed subadult
cdar1.jpg

1x Heteroscodra maculata - subadult female
hmac1.jpg hmac2.jpg

1x Poecilotheria regalis - large juvenile female
preg1.jpg preg2.jpg

All round I was very happy.. Sure they are a little scruffy but overall great value for money. I would recommend it to any hobbyist in UK who likes surprises and cheap Ts. :p

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
That's pretty neat! I paid full price for a gimp once. Didn't know she was a gimp until I brought her home and randomly decided to count the legs.... lol! It's regenerated now, so whatever:)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
That's pretty neat! I paid full price for a gimp once. Didn't know she was a gimp until I brought her home and randomly decided to count the legs.... lol! It's regenerated now, so whatever:)
You sure it wasn't actually a male gimp?

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Huh, that's cool. A good molt or two and you'll have them back right.
I've always wondered what that process entails. If it takes more than one molt will the leg regrow one segment at a time for each molt?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I've always wondered what that process entails. If it takes more than one molt will the leg regrow one segment at a time for each molt?
It comes back as a smaller, skinnier leg at first. The next one after that, it comes back full.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah you can see first reenerated leg on the C. darlingi. A little wobble weak looking thing on leg R IV

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Aren't Ceratogyrus darlingi dimorphic? With that size horn I'd guess you have a female, no???

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Aren't Ceratogyrus darlingi dimorphic? With that size horn I'd guess you have a female, no???
To an extent yes. This darlingi is still on the small size so its horn is too. I have seen a few immature males with good sized horns. I suspect this is female but dont know for sure yet.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
So I'm not trying to disparage the place you got these from.....but do they have too many to care for and that's why they have so many in poor shape? Wild caught? Trade ins? I understand crap happens and it's hard to sell the imperfect but that's a lot of shrunken abdomens.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
So I'm not trying to disparage the place you got these from.....but do they have too many to care for and that's why they have so many in poor shape? Wild caught? Trade ins? I understand crap happens and it's hard to sell the imperfect but that's a lot of shrunken abdomens.
It is the largest arachnids supplier in UK. It is possible that they are wild caught and are in a little rough state. It is also possible that they have had some specimens suffered from bad moults or other problems.

As far as shrunken abdomens go I would say the only one that looks shrunken is the darlingi. Looking at its regen leg it looks like it has moulted recently and this may be the reason for a shrunken abdomen.

Having a lot of stock you dont have time or money to feed stock as consistently as one would as a hobbyist. We have to remember they get much more food in captivity than the wild, and I am sure they get fed a reasonable amount in the suppliers care too.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Looks like a nasty(good) deal to me. Where's my US version of this? Outside of the C. Darlingi all of them look fine to me. Maybe they just need to reduce stock and decided the ones that were having "issues" were easier to sell using this method or just were using this as a "Noise" marketing ploy of some sort. If I was in the Uk...it would've worked darn well too lol.