Breeding

seaniboy

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I was just wondering, does anyone know how you breed scolopenders? I would be happy to know.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So would everyone here!

There hasn't been much success in breeding centipedes as of yet. Most babies that are available are from females that were gravid when collected. Centipedes are difficult to sex, no one has yet figured out a reliable way that doesn't involve disection, unless of course it lays eggs! Most centipedes are more than willing to eat one annother, so pairing them up often doesn't work out well.

One ray of hope comes from hobyists who are experimenting with rotating centipes into different cages. Since the male drops a spemataphore and may not need to actually touch the female, if he "smells" a female he my drop one of these when he's put in a cage previously occupied by a female. When she is returned, she may pick it up. I'm not sure if this has been proven to work, but it's definately worth experimenting with.

Wade

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only know of one breeder (Tim DelRosario) that has been successful (on more than one occasion) with the tank rotation method. Still, that's a little more promising.

Atrax