Breeding

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When the eggsac hatches, do you seperate the mom right away or do you waite until the nymphs molt into spiderling's? My sense tells me that you waite until spiderlings to seperate the babies, but is that correct?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JDK,
What species are you breeding?
Do you already have a eggcase, or
have they already hatched?
A little more info. please..;)

Ernie

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
When the eggsac hatches, do you seperate the mom right away or do you waite until the nymphs molt into spiderling's? My sense tells me that you waite until spiderlings to seperate the babies, but is that correct?
Hi,
Depends on the species as to what you might do. In either case, theraphosid moms are fantastic parents. I'd imagine with spiders like P. miranda (just bred in the last year in Europe) the slings would be seperated asap to maximise numbers (removing cannabilism from siblings as a problem). BUT, this depends on the experience of the keeper, if the slings are seperated too early, many losses could occur in inexperienced hands. Breeders may also choose to leave the slings together for an extended period of time. This could be done for several reasons:

To seperate the strong from the weak. Not something I totally agree with, but it's a fairly common move to make.

To cut down on numbers. Some T's sacs can contain as many as a couple of thousand young, difficult for even the most experienced enthusiast.

To experiment. Take P. regalis, who's slings are known to feed together on prey items. Good experiment I say!

And the list goes on.....

It all depends on what you are trying to acheive I guess.

Cheers,
Steve

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand (and remember), is that when you let s'lings thin their numbers out by letting them eat each other, is that you will ultimately wind up with a very disproportionate number of males to females.

BD

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I apreciate your help but i was just curious:)