Breeding Usambaras

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My loaner male just arrived and looks like he's doing well. I'm going to give my girl a roach in a few minutes so she won't be too hungry when I put him in with her tonight.

This is so exciting!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
My loaner male just arrived and looks like he's doing well. I'm going to give my girl a roach in a few minutes so she won't be too hungry when I put him in with her tonight.

This is so exciting!
Awesome. I heard that sometimes after copulation, the male and female (usumbaras anyways) can live fine together for a little while. Don't take my word for it, that's just what I heard. Keep us updated!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Good luck!
I'm hopefully waiting on my big female to lay an eggsac. She did alright with the male for a while, then ate him.
Keep us posted!
Ralph

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've bred usumbara several time and know several people who have as well and in all cases they've lived together for quite awile (had one pair together for over 2 months)strange how such nasty little creatures can be almost afectionate with each other

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bouncing Baby Usumbara

Im interested if you looking to sell one of your Usumbarling's when they grow up.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
as you know, my second couple are living happily together and have been since September 17th. They worked together on her burrow, and have enlarged it considerably, so they both can fit in there :)
One of these days, I expect she will eat him, but until then, they are quite content together!

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hrm

Maybe she eats him, whe he stops vacuming the web or doing dishes.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool

Its awesome to see people are breeding these lil mean guys

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, after much wrangling, I finally got him into her cage. He poked his head into her burrow but backed out and is now sitting on the driftwood drumming and acting very agitated. She has yet to make an appearance. Oh, wait, she's tapping back!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The play-by-play

Still tapping. She's starting to emerge from her burrow. She's more than twice his size! She's also noticeably brighter in color. They're approaching each other, she's rearing up slightly. More tapping. She hasn't shown her fangs at all (which is amazing given her general attitude). I saw him insert at least one pedipalp.

They've separated, but they're still tapping and stroking each other. It looks like they might be about to do it again.

Yup, that's certainly the case. Mating #2 is taking place right now. I wish I had a camera.

It would be great to compare video footage of the differences between mating the G. roseas and these guys. There's a lot more stroking, courting, and dancing going on here.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, she's returned to her burrow for now, but there were two successful palpal insertions before they moved apart.

This is one of my favorite parts of this hobby.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last post before retiring for the evening

They've mated a total of three times now. Still no signs of aggression from her. He's in the water dish now taking a break and she's back in her burrow.

I'm going to try leaving them together since they seem to be getting along so well.

Okay, it's time for dinner, shower, and food for me.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad to hear it Galeogirl. I hope you get lots of babies out of this.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is great news, just like along the lines of my happy couple :)
they are so sweet to each other!
And yes, the size difference is just incredible. Right now, he's in the burrow, and she is hanging around outside it.
Galeogirl, you may notice (I certainly did) that the female is much more visible when living with a male. Mine is now always out and about, whereas before I never saw her.
They seem to work in tandem, like the burrow expansion project they just completed

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're pretty happily shacked up together already, mating like crazy. I think I'll throw in a few feeders to keep the peace between the happy couple.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that's what I do, I throw in a couple crickets once a week or so. My female is starting to look FAT though....I wonder how much time the male has?!

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have little experience with breeding do forgive me my ignorance here... but is there a purpose to having them cohabitate until he is eaten? Is this what is done in the wild? Why not send him along to mate other females? (provided there are others available)

I guess what I am asking is what benefit is gained by leaving them together until he becomes ala carte?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good question..
he is on breeding loan, and the person has indicated he is expendable. I could send him on, just have no idea who to send him to.
Also, this sounds cruel, but there is a theory out there that the probability of an eggsac is quite good if the female eats the male. He also nourishes her