breeding tips

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i plan to try to breed turatulas, and was wondering whats a good kind of turatula to start with?? allso any other tips whould help.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends on what you're going for. I always like to start with a taste of realism, so I started with G. rosea and A. seemani.

If you're looking for worst case scenario, start with L. parayhabana. They seem easy to breed, but you'll end up with 3,000 slings.

The easiest to breed (or so I've heard...no experience with these guys) is P. murinis. The sack size isn't that big...maybe 300 max.

Just do your research and make sure you're able to either move or care for all those slings. You aren't going to pull a profit, so don't do it for the money.

Take a look at the breeding report forum. That has some great info.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first T we ever did breeding with was A.avic and it was very easy. Very docile sp. Then we started with the other T's we have. I agree with Cheshire...the breeding reports forum is very informative plus a lot of us on here can probably help you out with tips and such. What T are you looking at starting with?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was going to shot for a rosie, or maby a pink toe.
ill probly shot for the pink toe.
and what whould u sugest for houseing and feeding the slings? wingless fruit flies?

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I start out with micro crickets and then increase the size as needed. As for housing I use viles (pill bottles) usually 2"s around and 3 -4 inches high with an inch of substrate and a little stick inside for A.avics.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IME: Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) aka "OBT" is one of the easiest to breed of all tarantula species. They can be fast and aggressive unfortunately but, the good thing is that they will give you needed experience in breeding and husbandry of tarantulas. Feel free to expand at will but, not too quickly and you should have a rewarding hobby.

Brian

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will agree that when we did breedings with our p.murinus it was pretty easy. Put the male in....say a pray and a blessing and usually kiss his butt goodbye...lol Wolfy can correct me on this one but I think our female ended up killing approx 5 males. Her name wasn't "Bytch" for nothin'...lol

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will agree that when we did breedings with our p.murinus it was pretty easy. Put the male in....say a pray and a blessing and usually kiss his butt goodbye...lol Wolfy can correct me on this one but I think our female ended up killing approx 5 males. Her name wasn't "Bytch" for nothin'...lol
Funny that you mentioned that because I put 2 3" males inside my 4.5" female's enclosure 2 weeks ago and one of the males ate the other male and gets ignored by the female. She also sealed herself underneath the hide too.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
and what whould u sugest for houseing and feeding the slings? wingless fruit flies?
Baby food jars, vials from thornton plastics etc.

Slings of some species may be communal in the smaller instars, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Wingless friut flies will suffice as a temporary feeder ONLY. I raised my H. maculata to the third instar, on them, but friut flies are notorius for causing moulting problems.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what whould u sugest for feeding the slings? wingless fruit flies?
Here's a suggestion of food for slings:

minimealworms: They are as active as crickets IME and their size is .5"-1"

here's a link to buy them: www.minimealworms.com

pinhead crickets: They are small but, need to be monitored on smaller slings and their size is 1/16" - 1/8"

here's a link to buy them: http://www.cricketsonline.com/crickets_1.htm

Anything larger than the above I would recommend prekilled.

Brian