breeding tarantulas

critters007

Arachnopeon
I have a mature male and female Chilean rose. They mated on sunday and then again this morning. This is my first attempt at breeding T's. I have sucessfully breed geckos but never inverts. I was wondering what i should expect as far as clutch size for this specie as well as incubation periods. I plan to leave the egg sack with the female and hope all goes well. If this mating was successful how long before she lays the eggs? Also is two matings enough or should i put the male back with her once he builds a new sperm web? I think thats all i need to know, but if anyone can think of other things i need to be aware of please tell me.
thanks

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G. rosea has proven to be somewhat difficult for me to breed. I have gotten 3 eggsacs from captive breedings (not gravid wild caught females) - 2 proved to be infertile and 1 was eaten. The time between mating and egg laying has been between 6 and (incredibly) 11 months.

John

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I had 224 babies from my last egg sac. About 56 days after breeding them she laid the sac. On the 73rd day of the mother taking care of it, it looked like she abandon it, in the coner of the cage, so i decided to cut it open. All 224 babies are still alive. (At least the 60 or so that i kept for myself are still alive) GOOD LUCK

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since I bred my G. rosea several times to the same male, I couldn't tell you the exact time between breeding and the eggs, but I would estimate between 2-3 months with both sacks I've had so far. The first one was either infertile or dried out. My guess is that it dried out and I've taken steps to prevent that with the current sack. The current sack was made 03/07/03 and I'm going to leave it with the mother for about 2 more weeks and then pull it. So far, she has remained with it and seems very attentive to it.

Botar