Breeding tarantulas for fun and profit

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
read lots of reports, there are so many things that can and will happen. As everyone says, research, because what works for one species will not work for the other so you need to know breeding techniques for each species you plan to breed. As others have said "be careful with certain species" because you may be I sought confirmation by the expert in the genus to confirm my own estimations, because if the juvenile or subadult hook out, I wanted to be 100% sure they weren't A eutylenum.
I wish all owners would have the level of respect for both the hobby, and the animals, including the animals that own Ts, that you do. Far too many don't.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Do you still find breeding tarantulas fun and interesting or after years of doing it has it sucked some of the excitement away ? Sounds like I just need to give it a go n see what happens really
One big fact is that everyone's first breeding project that is successful will always be exciting, but as you increase the scope, it becomes draining. The excitement becomes less and the job becomes more. This is why I go on and off breeding, because it's mentally draining at times. I've only started breeding for 4-5 years, so I'm am by far not even close to being an expert. But the feeling of fun and interesting for breeding has changed for me in some ways, whether for better or worse. It honestly depends on what species I choose to breed and the money and space involved. Everyone's journey is different, but similar. The beginning is usually the same for most.

I can offer a ton of advice, but the one advice I offer to you as the best way to start without a doubt is to work/learn under someone who is reputable and knows what they're doing.

Most people coming in into the market don't last beyond the 5 year mark into selling. Now it's not impossible, but rather a long and tough journey to make it somewhat worth it. I have to say I don't know the market in the UK, so I can't scale it in comparison to how it is here in the US. But if you want to give it a go, it's honestly your choice.

The people to last the longest in the market are the ones with more passion, time, and dedication than anyone else in the hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One big fact is that everyone's first breeding project that is successful will always be exciting, but as you increase the scope, it becomes draining. The excitement becomes less and the job becomes more. This is why I go on and off breeding, because it's mentally draining at times. I've only started breeding for 4-5 years, so I'm am by far not even close to being an expert. But the feeling of fun and interesting for breeding has changed for me in some ways, whether for better or worse. It honestly depends on what species I choose to breed and the money and space involved. Everyone's journey is different, but similar. The beginning is usually the same for most.

I can offer a ton of advice, but the one advice I offer to you as the best way to start without a doubt is to work/learn under someone who is reputable and knows what they're doing.

Most people coming in into the market don't last beyond the 5 year mark into selling. Now it's not impossible, but rather a long and tough journey to make it somewhat worth it. I have to say I don't know the market in the UK, so I can't scale it in comparison to how it is here in the US. But if you want to give it a go, it's honestly your choice.

The people to last the longest in the market are the ones with more passion, time, and dedication than anyone else in the hobby.
I only know a select few that are still doing it beyond 10 yrs on an large scale. At least one team I speak with told me at one point they had to hire someone because it was too much work/time consumming for 2 people.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Anyone who wants to breed can actually do this. Whether it becomes what depends on yourself and what you want to do or sacrifice for it.

Breeding out of passion: a good cause can work, with luck you can finance part of the hobby with it.
Breeding out of greed for profit: stupid thing for breeders and animals; usually goes wrong.
Breeding in a community: stable and good cause, everyone benefits, the hobby is enriched. There are endless possibilities with a percentage of egg sacks, etc. If things don't go so well, a colleague helps out, etc.

But financing your life with it is a very bad idea.

That's how I see it.

Years ago I looked at a large "breeding station" of a well-known breeder. Many are enthusiastic about it, I found it absolutely terrifying, since then I have only bought from private breeders, friends, etc.

Individuals actually managed it, but still fear for their existence - that is far from my dream. I breed when I have the time and feel like it and am not dependent on this income - this is the only way I enjoy it and I don't have to dispose of animals in the garbage because I can't get rid of them.
Even if it's just spiders, animal welfare has priority in my eyes.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I only know a select few that are still doing it beyond 10 yrs on an large scale. At least one team I speak with told me at one point they had to hire someone because it was too much work/time consumming for 2 people.
you have to get really efficient when you are caring for 100s of slings. Feeding / hydrating can be a multi hour adventure

my daughter just called me. Our versicolors had a good 5 minutes of pairing. He's been wandering all over her enclosure all morning and she was drumming so much my daughter thought it was raining. She says he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he finally figured it out.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Anger toward senior members of the board is going to get you less far than you want to go. You think I just got super good at unicycling without getting kicked in the beanbag by experts that had zero time for my shenanigans? I had to swim through a ton of them. I merely ask that you take a minute to absorb a lot of the stuff people are saying here vs criticism.

Do you still find breeding tarantulas fun and interesting or after years of doing it has it sucked some of the excitement away ? Sounds like I just need to give it a go n see what happens really
Man, if you know someone who has become so complacent and comfortable at breeding them that it has bored them let us know! It's going to cost a lot of money and time to get it dialed in, but even then the market prices shift prices just as quickly as I do skidmarked underwear.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Anytime you take your hobby and start doing it for work, it becomes less fun. I love animals and animal husbandry; I also do it professionally and it has definitely sucked some of the joy out of it. I love doing it still, but after spending a full day of animal husbandry my desire to also go home and do that same thing is virtually nil right now. I'm also raising a toddler so that plays into my time availability, but bear in mind it will be less fun than if it's just a fun hobby that you occasionally make a sale in if you have spare babies to place.

hestoncv

Arachnosquire
<edit> If you plan on learning how to breed tarantulas successfully, you need to take the time to learn how to do it; your open hostility towards people trying to teach you makes me think you're not wanting to actually learn, you just want a quick and dirty "make cash fast with this one weird trick" sort of thing, and that is NOT how animal breeding works. There are so many steps involved to ensure the safety of your animals, and then their eggs, and then potentially offspring. Go slow my dude, take your time, and start reading. Trust me, you'll thank us at the end.
My opinion is that this man was trying to do research, that's the purpose of the post. No one pointed him in the right direction and just said research. I dont even know what word he used wrong? breeding instead of mating? Him asking this question is research, and he got rude comments for not knowing anything even though he admitted he didnt know anything. Thats why he was hostile, not because he didnt like the info

Do research!!! And make sure you 100% know the species correctly. Don’t create hybrids!!!!!!!!
That's interesting, can you create hybrids?? and if you can, why shouldnt you

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
If you want a species to profit, go on any t dealers site and click the button that says sort and then click the button that says least to most expensive. Then the most expensive should give the most profit. Instead of doing tons of research, this only takes 5 minutes. Also if it’s most expensive, it should look cool.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’m not saying you should do it. I meant to say just kidding after I said it. You should definitely do research and pick a species you want and find people to take the babies and have back up plans.

xhuxhurocket

Arachnopeon
Profit? Hahahahahahaha! Strive to break even but expect to loose capital- not just cash but time & labor as well. Especially at first, but as you build your business and gain experience you can go for the trickier ones to breed/ ones that command higher prices. Disclaimer: I have never tried to breed tarantulas, but I know a thing or two about start ups.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
That's interesting, can you create hybrids?? and if you can, why shouldnt you
On the one hand, hybrids are spread under a false name in the hobby, on the other hand, they are usually not able to reproduce further.
Sorry, but this question alone shows that there is obviously not the necessary competence to breed.
If you take the hobby and the well-being of the animals seriously, you ensure a species-appropriate attitude and do not play god. The line in between is thin but must be taken into account!
Furthermore, it is a matter of character!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I think that the hybrid theory should be tested but not recommended because it destroys blood lines someone took time to breed and preserve but on the other hand, just sent it and if it works, you made a profit.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
See if animals could hybridize. I don’t see a problem. Many animals naturally hybridize like the gambino viper or some widow spiders that overlap native range. Yes hybrids should not be done by every one who wants a cool spider.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It should be scientists who do this, not private keepers.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
See if animals could hybridize. I don’t see a problem. Many animals naturally hybridize like the gambino viper or some widow spiders that overlap native range. Yes hybrids should not be done by every one who wants a cool spider.
I (and almost all of the exotic breeding hobby) don't think hybrids should be made. A) They dirty the bloodline B) Are sometimes mislabeled throughout trading owners C) People getting into the hobby buy them cheap and then create worse bloodlines and "infect" the bloodline D) They have to be sold as pet-only so these don't happen and there's no way to be sure they aren't bred.
I don't think this should be done at all, what is gained by this? Just to see if it can be done? To make a pretty spider? There's no good reason.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It should be scientists who do this, not private keepers.
Why would scientists be creating hybrids? Just to see if it can be done? What purpose would that serve in general scientific advancement? Little to none. Are there sketchy scientists who I'm sure would embrace such an idea? Totally. But the establishment as a whole, I really don't think so.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Sorry but I said to keep the bloodlines pure. I said that it should not be owned by every one who wants a cool spider.

Also, couldn’t entomologists study the hybrids to see if it makes scientific advancement. They are already working with normal spider venom, why not try some with modified dna

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Also, couldn’t entomologists study the hybrids to see if it makes scientific advancement. They are already working with normal spider venom, why not try some with modified dna
There's thousands of combinations of spider species, it's pretty much pointless. And they'd likely end up euthanizing them for many reasons.