Breeding tailless whip scorpions

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@tarcan, do you have any recommendations for keeping/breeding P. carolynae? I have been trying to get several individuals for eventual breeding, but am still waiting for them to grow a bit (though it sounds like I may have some leeway when it comes to size now).

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish I could help, but I have not bred them yet. I have a group of 10 specimens that I got late last year. There are 4 females that I can see the eggs through them, but they are not laying them. I suspect that like other animals from more arid regions, they will be harder to breed and probably need a trigger of some sort. In retrospect, I should have cooled them down for the winter a little. I was not sure if they bred before cooling and layed the eggs the next year, or they did everything from spring. Anyway, I still hope they will lay the eggs, it is a gorgeous little species.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wish I could help, but I have not bred them yet. I have a group of 10 specimens that I got late last year. There are 4 females that I can see the eggs through them, but they are not laying them. I suspect that like other animals from more arid regions, they will be harder to breed and probably need a trigger of some sort. In retrospect, I should have cooled them down for the winter a little. I was not sure if they bred before cooling and layed the eggs the next year, or they did everything from spring. Anyway, I still hope they will lay the eggs, it is a gorgeous little species.
Ah bummer. Mine are still pretty small, but I'm hoping they'll all molt once or twice this year and be able to breed.

@peterUK, that's a great book :)

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
Age/Size

They are more than big enough to breed. As soon as I could, I would separate the males and females. Keep them separate until you want to try breeding. Absence make the heart grow fonder.

When I introduced my male for the first time into the females tank, after a couple months of having them, I saw courtship within 5 minutes. Now...this may not help everyone. It may not even be necessary. But why keep them together, having to compete for the same food. Then they're all like, "God...here she comes. Nasty hag."

Makes sense to me to keep them away from each other, fatten them, then toss them together. Like I said...I had a spermatophore the very next morning.

As far as your tank goes...I'd add some higher flat structure.

Good luck

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just a quick update, the eggs from the tiny female hatched and I have 4 nice healthy looking babies!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just a quick update, the eggs from the tiny female hatched and I have 4 nice healthy looking babies!
Wow, that TINY one you posted earlier? That's awesome. Are the babies the same size as the ones the larger one would produce? That is so cool!

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes, the tiny one. Hopefully I can answer your question in several months as I never bred this species (I got this little female and she was already mated). I mated two big females. I doubt there will be any difference in size, just more babies. This clutch had 4 babies!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! That is really cool lol! Good luck :D
My Damon diadema's eggs are getting a little bigger, I am guessing that is a good sign! :love:

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok, final update here, the babies from the big P. aztecus female hatched, there were 30 in total, compared to 4 for the small one!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, awesome! I realized I posted my D. diadema had eggs...they hatched about 3 days ago I believe, 30+! :D

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I know this is an old thread but I've been thinking about getting into amblypygids. I'm ordering the only book on breeding them tonight. It is encouraging to see you guys having so much success. The Journal article on kin discrimination has peaked my interest even more.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I know this is an old thread but I've been thinking about getting into amblypygids. I'm ordering the only book on breeding them tonight. It is encouraging to see you guys having so much success. The Journal article on kin discrimination has peaked my interest even more.
Heterophrynus batesii actually lives in social groups of 2-8 in the wild, the thought being that it allows more of them to utilize large, complex buttresses, which they prefer. I'm too lazy to find the paper now, but will do so tomorrow if I remember :p Did you buy Orin McMonigle's book, or another I don't know of?

May I say that you should totally get some because amblypygi are amazing! Probably my favorite arachnid, possibly my favorite arthropod.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Yes, Orin's book. I'm also eyeballing his book on vinegaroons. I think I am going to exceed my tightwad limit if I buy three all in one night. Oh yeah I also just bought his book on Centipede husbandry tonight as well. I am getting into captive breeding and I want to do it right. My goal is to breed local species to relieve collection stress as well as my dream list of inverts. One day maybe it can be more than a hobby. Gotta have dreams.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
If I like Orin's books I might just start collecting everything that he has published in my wheelhouse. I've seen multiple enthusiasts recommend his works. I'm thinking: Roaches, millipedes, vinegaroons, Scorpions, T's, mantids and even beetles.

Phyre Haven

Arachnopeon
I have a quick question. Do gravid Whips still eat while eggbound? Or do they stop? Just found out she's pregnant last night.