Breeding Scarlet and Bumblebee millipedes.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I was lucky enough to find out that my local exotic pet store got in some Scarlet and Bumblebee Millipedes( didn’t have to pay any shipping fees 😁). The only bad part is that the millipedes were a little pricey. There also was only 3 Scarlets and 2 Bumblebees left. Anyways, after buying all the millipedes in the store, I went home with five happy millipedes. I got home and sexed them right away. I found out that I had 1 male and 2 female Scarlets which is awsome. The bad news is that both Bumblebees were female.

I plan on breeding and selling these millipedes. I read that the container needs to be a wide as the millipede and two time as long and deep as the millipede.This would mean a 15x3x6 inch container( which I have setup and ready). As always, I have questions.

1. Can I put 3 Scarlets in an 8 ounce deli cup? My theory is that they will be able to find each other easier vs in a 6 quart container.
2. One Bumblebee has pink legs while the other has grey legs. What does this mean in terms of gender?
3. How long until I start seeing baby millipedes?
4 I would like to buy a few more of each millipede( 3-5). Where is a good place to purchase them that currently has them in stock?

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
So glad you were able to get some USA natives! (Well naturalized actually but they're here now:p)
1. I would go for the larger. When it comes to habitats bigger is almost always better. I recently had bumblebee babies with 8 adults in a 16 qt container. They will find each other.
2. Don't think that coloration has anything to do with sex as bumblebees are not sexually dimorphic. I'm also gonna be honest I am AWFUL at sexing millipedes.
3. There's a lot of factors to this question, as it is quite possible they have not all reached maturity. Therefore, I can't really say. Just keep things moist, and have a good substrate, and they'll show up eventually.
4. Shipping costs are pretty high but his quality of service is incredible so I always recommend Peter at Bugs In Cyberspace. Also have heard great things about Orin. But you can get bumblebees and scarlets from a lot of different places.
Congratulations on your new arrivals!

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
So glad you were able to get some USA natives! (Well naturalized actually but they're here now:p)
1. I would go for the larger. When it comes to habitats bigger is almost always better. I recently had bumblebee babies with 8 adults in a 16 qt container. They will find each other.
2. Don't think that coloration has anything to do with sex as bumblebees are not sexually dimorphic. I'm also gonna be honest I am AWFUL at sexing millipedes.
3. There's a lot of factors to this question, as it is quite possible they have not all reached maturity. Therefore, I can't really say. Just keep things moist, and have a good substrate, and they'll show up eventually.
4. Shipping costs are pretty high but his quality of service is incredible so I always recommend Peter at Bugs In Cyberspace. Also have heard great things about Orin. But you can get bumblebees and scarlets from a lot of different places.
Congratulations on your new arrivals!
Thank you so much for the quick response.