Breeding, sacs, and sling photo project help

pdneff

Arachnopeon
So I am doing a 4-H project and need some help from my fellow arachnohobbiest. The project involves 5 pictures of a normal birth, and I am looking to do it in stages. Something along the lines of breeding, egg sac, eggs, eggs with legs, and 1st instar slings...or something of the sort. Now this is where the help comes in...I have not been in the hobby long enough to have had these experiences myself and am looking for pictures of the sort. If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated. PM's or emails would be great if you can help!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could try the breeding reports section and ask the owner of the pictures for permission to use their photos and give credit where credit is due.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You have my permission to use this pic:

I have better if you want.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
You have my permission to use this pic:

I have better if you want.
Thanks for contributing Rob and nice work. Just like to note that the correct term for 'Eggs/w legs' is actually post-embryo(s).

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Thanks for contributing Rob and nice work. Just like to note that the correct term for 'Eggs/w legs' is actually post-embryo(s).
(I thought it was one word: postembryo. Eh.) Anyways, aren't 3rd instar+ considered slings? I think before that, they're just...babies.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I'm pretty sure it carries a hyphen.

Second-instar(this one carries a hyphen too ;) ) and higher are considered fully mobile hunting spiders.
Hm, we learn something every day. I just remember reading it in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Something like that.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually several different Poecilotheria (metallica, tigrinaweselli for sure and I think there's a third one, maybe formosa) do not feed until 3rd instar and are not considered a true spiderling until they achieve that instar. Di

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Actually several different Poecilotheria (metallica, tigrinaweselli for sure and I think there's a third one, maybe formosa) do not feed until 3rd instar and are not considered a true spiderling until they achieve that instar. Di
What you saying doesnt make sense to me! to be a 'spiderling' has nothing to do with when they eat for the first time!

most spiders ive bread i have noticed are able to sink their fangs into their undeveloping siblings from postembrio stage! so would they then be considered a true spiderling from that stage then!? i dont think so!

You get :postembrio!(egg w/legs)--they then molt into
1st instar---they then molt into
2nd instar---whitch is now a spiderling!

This is the case for all tarantulas! It cant differe from one sp to another!
It is obvious though! you can see when it molts into 2nd instar, it is now a spiderling!

Cool!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What you saying doesnt make sense to me! to be a 'spiderling' has nothing to do with when they eat for the first time!

most spiders ive bread i have noticed are able to sink their fangs into their undeveloping siblings from postembrio stage! so would they then be considered a true spiderling from that stage then!? i dont think so!

You get :postembrio!(egg w/legs)--they then molt into
1st instar---they then molt into
2nd instar---whitch is now a spiderling!

This is the case for all tarantulas! It cant differe from one sp to another!
It is obvious though! you can see when it molts into 2nd instar, it is now a spiderling!

Cool!
Sorry, but you're incorrect.
Di

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
dianedfisher is correct. Some species vary as to when they become 'spiderlings'.
Proof please! Your link is not proof! it says that they havnt eaten yet! that doesnt mean that they arnt 'spiderlings'!
ive tested with a couple sp, to not feed them at 2nd instar! most of them molted into 3rd instar! so were they only a 'spiderling when i finally fed them at 3rd instar?--i dont think so!

Last edited:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Ah, there we go. :)
Hey bud! thats great! i love learning something new!
So from 1st instar to sacond instar some of the poecs still look nimph like!? not looking like a proper spider yet!?
That blows my mind!
Is it all the tme with these spacific sp? or only on some ocations? and do all the spiders in the sack go to the 3rd instar to look like spiders, or just some?

Thanx alot! ide like to see proper pics of the whole process!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Hey bud! thats great! i love learning something new!
So from 1st instar to sacond instar some of the poecs still look nimph like!? not looking like a proper spider yet!?
That blows my mind!
Is it all the tme with these spacific sp? or only on some ocations? and do all the spiders in the sack go to the 3rd instar to look like spiders, or just some?

Thanx alot! ide like to see proper pics of the whole process!

Yeah. I think thanks goes to Diane for the links though. But I believe its not just Poecilotheria. According to TTKG 3rd Edition(I believe), p.277 Grammostola rosea do it too. So I assume there are quite a number more species that do this.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Yeah. I think thanks goes to Diane for the links though. But I believe its not just Poecilotheria. According to TTKG 3rd Edition(I believe), p.277 Grammostola rosea do it too. So I assume there are quite a number more species that do this.
Thats awsome! do you think there is a spacific reason why this happens?
ide love to see pics though!