Question Breeding reports?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There's no way that this is right. I have to be missing something here.

I went to try and post a breeding report here:
http://arachnoboards.com/forums/breeding-reports.40/

However, there is no creation button. After going into a recent reply to a thread, @MrDeranged instructed people to post here:
http://arachnoboards.com/reviews-reports/category/breeding-reports.12/?order=atoz

... alright, fine. Not exactly a booming area, it's only had 8 submissions. But fine, I'll follow rules. I go to create an item, and instead of actually listing a breeding report, I'm being asked information about the species itself. Way too much work, I'll do it later. Out of curiosity, I go into the parent forum here:
http://arachnoboards.com/reviews-reports/

Okay, where even is the breeding report section? I couldn't get there had I not been linked directly by MrDeranged. The entire point of creating breeding reports is creating archival references. By creating no small amount of work on the poster, AB is actively deterring people from posting breeding reports. Why would I need to list common names, size, sexual dimorphism, and care? Also, side note. We're quoting Wikipedia now? Seriously? See the example posted by a moderator below. Now I understand why there are so few of them. On top of that, it's nearly impossible to navigate there without being linked directly. This defeats the purpose of even creating breeding reports.
http://arachnoboards.com/reviews-reports/phiddipus-regius.149/

I truly believe that I'm mistaken on the whole process, I have a hard time believing that it's this difficult to even find the breeding reports let alone create one.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree...

1. its way too complicated, a standard thread would be easier and seen by more people. 2. Breeding reports and user reviews being linked makes no sense, its like going to a car dealer when I need to fix a zipper on my jacket. I also tried to access breeding reports (I've been hatching a lot of sacs) and couldn't find anything more than you did @EulersK . I decided to just not write breeding reports....and seeing as there have been a mere 8 entries in 9 months, I'm clearly not alone.....I mean, I'd have 8 entries in that time if it were in standard thread form as it once was. 3. Breeding reports should be encouraged, easily accessed by the masses and regularly viewed, as it currently sits, that's definitely not the case.

FWIW, just my 2 cents.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This site is an amazing source of information, and even though I was a new blood back in the old system, I remember how easy it was to access information. This new forum is far easier to navigate... except when it comes to official reports that the more experienced users write. Reviews and reports are massive benefits for this forum, and in fact it's how I found AB to begin with. It just feels like both the reviews and reports have been changed for the sake of changing, and now it's been so long that it will be difficult to migrate the existing reviews and reports back to the old system. It's a lose-lose at this point, but things just can't stay the same. The most valuable information on this site has become so cumbersome that it's useless.

The problem is so large that even mods don't know what's going on. I'm quoting this from the reviews and reports page:

The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
When I contacted a mod to do this as instructed, I was told that I was to make it myself. Granted, he/she was extremely helpful, but the point stands that the process has become out of hand.

Don't get me wrong, the mods here are great. Extremely knowledgeable and hard working. But I can't quite understand why this is taking so long to fix when the solution is apparently extremely easy, unless I'm missing something huge.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The most viewed breeding reports were actually in a thread catfishrod started in "questions and discussions" during the now "olden days". Really the fix is that simple, just title a thread in that forum group (or whichever) "breeding reports" and you're done. Sure it may not have the species individually organized, but at least people will read and write reports...its not even being done really anymore, which is the opposite direction you want to go on a forum who's hobby is based on captive breeding.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sure it may not have the species individually organized
Why "not "? Example: you can start a thread called "C.cyaneopubescens breeding" and post your breeding. Others can use your thread for their "GBB" breedings.

Then EulersK, for instance, can start a "E.murinus breeding", post his breeding, others the same, their experience with E.murinus.

Doing this way, you will have breeding threads related for a single specie, instead of a single "breeding thread" with everything. O no? :)