Breeding Rainbow Stag Beetles

tbungert2014

Arachnopeon
Hey,
I am excited to get my first pair of Stag Beetles in a few days. It is a male and female, and I am hoping to breed them.
Can anyone provide insight into what steps to take to breed them?

I have tried searching online but am not finding much info. I dont have access to rotting wood but I did order some substrate from usbeetles.com, it says it is flake soil and works for all stages from breeding/spawning to metamorphosis.

I have beetle jelly ordered and a few on hand as well.

Anyhow, the pair have been kept together since the people got them in April but they didnt mention anything about breeding...

What do I need to do? This would he an amazing experience.

Thank you!

tbungert2014

Arachnopeon
Idk how it works and am second guessing if I am even getting them right now. The person I am getting them from is local to me and she got them from a breeder at a reptile show local to us.

Alice is Late For Tea

Arachnopeon
Idk how it works and am second guessing if I am even getting them right now. The person I am getting them from is local to me and she got them from a breeder at a reptile show local to us.
How’d it go?! Did you get them :)
Also regarding the other question: my understanding is it’s all depending on where you live. I’m certain where I live you can, but the state “prefers” to have you obtain a permit

tbungert2014

Arachnopeon
I am deciding to get them. The breeder said that because they were originally bought in the US and then captive bred that at least for my state they are legal to own :)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I've seen that excuse come up with beetles and sticks, just because they're captive bred in the US or within your state doesn't make them legal, all exotic beetles(except for some goliathus) are illegal to keep without proper permits

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
How’d it go?! Did you get them :)
Also regarding the other question: my understanding is it’s all depending on where you live. I’m certain where I live you can, but the state “prefers” to have you obtain a permit
The state doesn’t “prefer” you get the permit, federal law requires it if the species you are obtaining falls in one of their broad “plant pest” definitions.
I am deciding to get them. The breeder said that because they were originally bought in the US and then captive bred that at least for my state they are legal to own :)
Here is the problem with that argument. Unless someone found a naturalized population of this species in Wisconsin, the ancestors of your beetles had to be intentionally brought into the state at some point in time. It could have been a decade ago or more, and they would still fall under the jurisdiction of the Plant Protection Act.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Even if the very unlikely chance that they were somehow established Washington, there’s also a good chance that they’d be illegal to keep anyway. I know there are little pockets in California where Cauruasius morosus have become established and they are still illegal to keep there

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Even if the very unlikely chance that they were somehow established Washington, there’s also a good chance that they’d be illegal to keep anyway. I know there are little pockets in California where Cauruasius morosus have become established and they are still illegal to keep there
As long as you are not transporting them out of a quarantine area, the USDA does not restrict capturing invasive species as pets. Is there a state law imposing extra restrictions on them?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I’m not too sure, all I know is that I heard somewhere that it was prohibited to own them and that indian sticks are generally one that the usda’s been keeping an eye on

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
The only state where exotic lucanids are legal is California I believe...
besides that... yeah...

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I saw that document and that’s not necessarily true, they’re all still technically illegal...it is sort of a (false” loophole but they still remain illegal without permits

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
So, California law does legalize all lucanids for enthusiast's use. However, the overarching federal regulations enforced by the USDA/APHIS take preeminence, making them still technically illegal. In practice I have seen very little enforcement of the law as it relates to lucanids unless you are brown-boxing, but the point remains.

I will say it is difficult to follow a law that is on the books but isn't enforced to any great degree, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts