Breeding questions...

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
I have several femal smithi's and one fella to do all the work

1. As soon as he gets done with a female, can I put him in with another? I have done this, and it went normally, but I wonder if his pedipalps were already empty and he needed to reload?

2. Can he reload from the same sperm web, or does he have to built a new one and use it?

3. I have two smaller females. One he tried to mate, but she just kept backing up, and it looked like he never got her completely bent back like he did the others. Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G9oO_MbfZY

The other smaller one he completely ignores. Does he know if they are ready, or does he just hump anything in sight?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1- You can do that if he uses one palp, then stop them and try and pair him up with another female in hopes that he uses the other palp. But I recommend letting him insert as many times as he wants to and just waiting for a new sperm web. Having several good pairings is better then a few half ass ones.

2- No he has to build a new one.

3- Females as long as they are 4.5"+ can be bred. But with only one male to do the mating the smaller females should be the last to be mated if the male makes it through your other bigger females.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too bad you sold your freshly molted MM. It sounds like your one guy could have used some help with so many females...