Breeding question?

mikey

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I have another question pertaining to breeding... I have what is supposed to be a female G. rosea and (if any of you remember) I have a mature male G. rosea...

Now, if I put them together and it turned out that the supposed female is actually male, will they try to eat each other?? I assume they would... but I have seen pics of multiple G. roseas together with no confrontations... I know the male has a LIMITED amount of time to reproduce and I would hate to pass up the chance to mate them (even if it is very unlikely to produce and eggsac and/or slings), but at the same time, I would hate to loose the "supposed" female...

Thanks,
Mikey

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The response could run anywhere from nothing at all to full frontal attack. IME with this species, mating attempts can take a while. It may be similar with other species, but I've really noticed it with this one.

Botar

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
The response could run anywhere from nothing at all to full frontal attack. IME with this species, mating attempts can take a while. It may be similar with other species, but I've really noticed it with this one.

Botar

Botar is right. I had started answering the part of your question that pertains to 2 males by recounting my experience with putting 2 males of this species together with one female. This was at a reptile show and it involved one of my males and a pair belonging to Joy Reed. The males were both uncooperative when tried singly, so Joy suggested that some competiton might stir them on. If I remember correctly, one of the two did become more willing to mate, and there was no violence at all. We even posted a pic of this in a previous thread. Today however, was a different story! I decided that before I hit "submit reply" that I would test this out again. Let's just say that I had to stop 2 male roses from giving each other their thorns.

As far as a normal breeding attempt ( 1 male, 1 female) it can still go either way. I currently have a dozen or more female G. rosea and 4 mature males. None of this year's numerous attempts have been violent, but I did lose a male of this species to a female last year.

Good luck,

John