Breeding question (OBT)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok I emailed reptist and I told him I wanted to buy an adult OBT female for my mature male.

So I have a few questions:

What's the easiet way to get a speed demon like my mature male out of its enclosure so I can put it in the female's eventually after she's been here a while?

Has anyone ever tried to put a female into a mature male's territory and got fertile eggs? (This question can go for any genus/species not just for OBT)

How long should I keep the female away from the male before any breeding attempts?

How fat does the female have to be before i breed her?

When I take the babies away from mom they have to go in their own homes or all together or how does that work?
Will she shed BEFORE she lays the egg sac or after?

Will I have him long enough to breed him w/ her twice (so basically to get two egg sacs?

How many babies are usually in a OBT egg sac?

What do they eat when they are first born? Each other right? lol..(This was just said because some times you can't save all the babies)

If she does end up making eggs Can I leave them in there with her the whole time or do I have to take them out after like two weeks? Since this would be my first breeding session I want it all to go correctly.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated. And yes I'm going right now to see if I can feed one or two OBTBR. (orange bitey thingy breeding reports)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Ok I emailed reptist and I told him I wanted to buy an adult OBT female for my mature male.

So I have a few questions:

What's the easiet way to get a speed demon like my mature male out of its enclosure so I can put it in the female's eventually after she's been here a while?
I use a mailer tube with the caps on both ends and a paintbrush.

Has anyone ever tried to put a female into a mature male's territory and got fertile eggs? (This question can go for any genus/species not just for OBT)

How long should I keep the female away from the male before any breeding attempts?
I'd let the female get aclimated to her new surroundings first. ( makes a tube, tunnel, etc.)

How fat does the female have to be before i breed her?

When I take the babies away from mom they have to go in their own homes or all together or how does that work?
Will she shed BEFORE she lays the egg sac or after?
If she molts after mating but before making a sac, you will get no sac, as the sperm is lost with the exuvium

Will I have him long enough to breed him w/ her twice (so basically to get two egg sacs?
Doubtful, from what I've read and seen. My MM P. murinius lived only 7 months after maturing

How many babies are usually in a OBT egg sac?
Mine had 76

What do they eat when they are first born? Each other right? lol..(This was just said because some times you can't save all the babies)
In my case they ate cut wax worms at first then cut crix, cut roaches.

If she does end up making eggs Can I leave them in there with her the whole time or do I have to take them out after like two weeks? Since this would be my first breeding session I want it all to go correctly.
both are done, I left the sac in with the mother since I was led to believe she ate it, while she merely hid it. One day I look ed in and there were "eggs with legs" crawling around. So I took her out and put them all in there own deli cup.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated. And yes I'm going right now to see if I can feed one or two OBTBR. (orange bitey thingy breeding reports)
I used a larger 20 gallon tank. I placed her entire enclosure in there with the top off and put him in outside it. and let them alone for 2 days.

He made a sperm web and did the deed :)

GOOD LUCK.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd let the female get aclimated to her new surroundings first. ( makes a tube, tunnel, etc.)

If she molts after mating but before making a sac, you will get no sac, as the sperm is lost with the exuvium

So I should put her in a 2o gallon then put him in a smaller a critter keeper inside of that 20 gallon?....Can I just keep him in his enclosure and put her in the critter keeper and put that in his enclosure?

So should I feed her and wait for her to molt before mating or I should mate first because he may die while we are waiting for her to molt?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I should put her in a 2o gallon then put him in a smaller a critter keeper inside of that 20 gallon?....Can I just keep him in his enclosure and put her in the critter keeper and put that in his enclosure?

So should I feed her and wait for her to molt before mating or I should mate first because he may die while we are waiting for her to molt?
Once you get her let her adjust from her trip, then offer her food, and give her a few days to explore and pick a spot to hunker down. Then introduce the male. Since you won’t know the last molt date of the female it’s kind of a crapshoot, but these guys have a shorter gestation period so you might get lucky.
A 20 Gal in my opinion is overkill. I had my big female in a 10 gal and that was big, all she did was pick a corner and set up shop, she was rarely ever seen out of her web hide. You can just keep him in there they will co habit, sometimes till the male dies of natural causes, and sometimes till the female is fed up with his presence and makes him a snack. Good luck, maybe soon you will have a small orange army of legs. {D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
09/31/07

Ok well I took the hidding place out of my OBT's enclosure (to see when he did any more webbing specificially a sperm web) and since then he hasn't webbed any kind of webbing at all. my questions is after I recieve the female feed her for about a week or so and let them live together will he make be encouraged enough just by her presence to make a sperm web?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I generally prefer to do breeding loans unless I have a female who I know has mated recently.

I would ask the dealer if they know when the last time the spider moulted.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok well I took the hidding place out of my OBT's enclosure (to see when he did any more webbing specificially a sperm web) and since then he hasn't webbed any kind of webbing at all. my questions is after I recieve the female feed her for about a week or so and let them live together will he make be encouraged enough just by her presence to make a sperm web?
Unless you actually catch him in the act of making his sperm web and loading up his palps there may be very little evidence it ever happened. Also, i don't know how long it has been since you removed his hide but perhaps your MM already recently made a sperm web before your removed his hide. Another thing, my MM B. smithi's favorite place to make his sperm web was in his hide (half log).

While i am only just beginning my first few breeding attempts, this is what i am doing. For me it makes much more sense to already have a female on hand and look for a fresh male when the female is freshly molted as well - rather than looking for a female when my male molts... i don't know why, for me it is just easier.

Hey, go ahead and get that female OBT. If you get a sac - awesome! If she molts before she makes a sac then at least then you know you have a fresh female so start with and you should be able to find a fresh MM OBT without too much trouble.