Breeding Problem

Vaul

Arachnopeon
Alright gang.

Bit of a strange one this. One of my better breeding emperors recently lost a leg. The bleeding has ceased and the leg has been completly removed. However, last night when I was introducing him to a female, he seemed to have 'forgotten' what to do.

The female is not gravid, and is in good condition. I have had no issue before. Larry (the 7 legged) didn't bother to go through the usual business of the 'little dance', instead he bee-lined for her, and grabbed hold of her pedipalps to attempt to mate her. Obviously, she became angry at this, and pulled away. I waited for several hours, before re-introducing him, and the behaviour was repeated, except this time she actually attacked him.

I understand that she may simply not be receptive, the however I am convinced that I did not misread the behaviour. He didn't bother to show any pre-mating behaviour, and went straight in. I have bred my scorpions several times, so am pretty conivinced about that.

Has anyone else seen this sudden alteration of behaviour following an injury. I have no knowledge of his age, but have had him for two years, and got him in adult form.

Any ideas of feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How long did you leave them together? I would put them together and leave him in there until/if she drops

Vaul

Arachnopeon
Breeding attempt 1 he was in there for about 20 minutes, removed because the female was getting increasingly aggressive.

Breeding attempt 2 lasted not very long because she wanted him dead.

It's not her response that was strange though, it was him not performing any kind of 'dance' and going straight at her that seemed strange.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well sometimes reproduction is a bit violent, that goes for all creatures. (Except plants, lol) But I did have a pair which mated IMMEDIATELY after they were introduced, couldn't even get the back on lid on before they did. Oddly, afterwards, he went through the motions of walking around juddering and letting the female know "hey your last set of babies are gone and I'm an adult so let's go". Personally, if my female wants to eats the male (which she has done with all of her males so far), I just let it happen.

Unless losing your male is not an option for you I'd just leave them in together.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been breeding a few different scorps over the past few years now and honestly, I dont see as much "dancing" as I do forced rape! It seems to be a common occurance where the male drags the girl around like a rag doll, anyway mine do that alot. And yes, it often will seem like they are fighting at first but they will settle down after a few minute.
I would still leave him in there with her. Make sure both are fed well. Sometimes they stay locked up for many hours. I have seen C margaritatus stay hooked up for nearly 12 hours before!

Vaul

Arachnopeon
Weirds.

By sounds of it the problem is I am attributing too much to the leg loss, and not enough to him just 'being a scorpion'. :p

Thanks gang.

\/