Breeding Phyllophaga?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So the local Phyllophaga have started becoming active... Wondering how one would go about captive breeding them? Similar to Cotinis mutabilis? Very little online. Just want to try breeding them lol, no real reason.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Extremely easy, they can be fed carrots. May beetles are just as easily kept. The adults are foliage feeders, and eat leaves and flower petals

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Extremely easy, they can be fed carrots. May beetles are just as easily kept. The adults are foliage feeders, and eat leaves and flower petals
What's the difference between June and may beetles? Also is there a specific type of foliage? And what do larvae eat?

davehuth

Arachnoknight
That time of year again. I'd also like to try this, and wonder if anyone has any guidance? Natural history descriptions I've read online seem to indicate the larval stage may be years, so maybe not worth it, but I'm still curious... :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you can give them a nice compost they should do well for you. That or a good mix of rotting hardwood leaves and wood. Not sure how long the larval stage is, but it's probably only a year or so if they have a good substrate.