breeding P. Rufilatas

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys, need some advices, last week I put my male and female P. Rufilata together to mate and the male is interested but the female don't seem to care. What you guys think I should do to?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally would take him out. Then wait, sometimes the female’s mood changes in hours, sometimes days. But try and re introduce him every so often, I am assuming she is well fed, if she is she wont be much threat to the male so you could even just co habit them. I know it’s hard to find a Rufilata MM so I would be more protective of him. There is no rush, now that you got all the pieces of the puzzle.

Last edited:

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you are best leaving them together for at least 7 days then remove the male to the other side of the room or beter still another room if you keep the male near the female she can go straight back in to a moult , i have had adult female rufilatas moult 3 times in 3 months since moving the males away from the females they produced sacs instead of moulting

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I would keep them together for a week or 2 especially if you have them in a large cage such as an Exo Terra.

David, That is very interesting. I had never heard of that before. Perhaps that is why my last breeding attempt with P striata ended up into a molt?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had that happen with some species. It’s interesting actually. It’s almost like the female speeds up her molt cycle to get it ready for a breeding because a male was present. Stimulation of some sort maybe.

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I would keep them together for a week or 2 especially if you have them in a large cage such as an Exo Terra.

David, That is very interesting. I had never heard of that before. Perhaps that is why my last breeding attempt with P striata ended up into a molt?
glad you mention p striata doing this as i have 1 female that has been mated 4 times each time moulted out 8-10 weeks after mating even moulted while the male was still in with her now all my males are in another room so they dont dissturb the mated females also i dont mate the females in my spider room anymore thats done in another room , also with p rufilata i lost quite a few females up till i started keeping males away from them

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the female just molted while the male is still in the cage with her...should I take him out? Will she eat him?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would take him out or shark tank him till she hardens up and eats something.

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
O.K. I took him out, I didnt expected her to molt so soon. She molted about 7months ago...I would think it will take her a year to molt again. Shes a big 8" now...:eek: