Breeding P. Imperator?

Enki40

Arachnopeon
What is the ideal enclosure size for two P. Imperator specimens in regards to breeding?

venomglide

Arachnopeon
But you have to remove the male after the mating. If you want to keep them both communally, a 10 Gal tank would do for the two

Enki40

Arachnopeon
But you have to remove the male after the mating. If you want to keep them both communally, a 10 Gal tank would do for the two
Do you think it will hurt to use a larger enclosure? I was thinking about using a large plastic container by "Sterilite" from Wal-Mart. I think it said 41L if I'm not mistaking. I actually have a 10 gallon that I was gonna use as an arboreal enclosure for a L. violaceopes. But if you're saying it will be more efficient to use the 10 gallon for the two P. imperators, then I'll just go with that.

venomglide

Arachnopeon
Do you think it will hurt to use a larger enclosure? I was thinking about using a large plastic container by "Sterilite" from Wal-Mart. I think it said 41L if I'm not mistaking. I actually have a 10 gallon that I was gonna use as an arboreal enclosure for a L. violaceopes. But if you're saying it will be more efficient to use the 10 gallon for the two P. imperators, then I'll just go with that.
It is not gonna hurt {D and it will be more beautiful to look at... I would love to see your set-up after you finished it :)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it better to put them in a wide enclosure that has a lot of width than have a lot of height :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it better to put them in a wide enclosure that has a lot of width than have a lot of height :)
agreed. i set my communal (2 ladies and a stud) in a 20 gal long which is 30"x12"x12". i set up many hiding areas and a flat slate stone with some rough "Ripples" in the face of it so that if and when they wanted to breed the stone would be the most likely spot for it to go on. i also put a VERY generous amount of substrate in there for them to burrow in if they wanted to. i kept half of the tank moist and warm (about 85 degrees Fahrenheit) and the other side cooler and totally dry. this way you provide them with ALL the necessary areas and cover all the basis for a proper breeding environment. IF your emps take to the breeding then u are looking at quite some time before the female produces babies. ive seen it as low as 6 months (the female may have been preggo before the mating) and my personal experience was 19 and a half months from breeding to babies. i bought mine as immature females so that way i KNEW they werent inseminated in a wild setting prior to capture. when they matured into adult females i introduced my male and let them all live together for 6 months before he passed away. problem with WC's is you dont know if they are already gravid or not, so your communal setup may turn into a slaughter house if one of the scorps gets to close to mom-to-be. OR sometimes the female may be to old to even breed. which leads to a lot of heart ache and crap becuz let me tell you from experience. when u want something to happen in a timely fashion it never does. i gave up on the idea my females were even gravid i thought they were just fat becuz they put on a bunch of weight and then almost a year went by without any babies. now one has had babies and the other is growing even larger yet but barely eating. this is all of course just my 200ths of a dollar...hope it helps.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will dance for a while, and everywhere, more than once. 20g aquarium is perfect, but 10g is fine too.