Breeding OBT

Raygamer

Arachnopeon
So.. I have 2 5" OBT one confirm female and one confirm male.
I really want to breed them in the future but i really don't know when is the right time to breed them or when can i breed them.
This is going to be my first time breeding tarantulas
My question is when is the right time to breed them? What are the process i have to go through? (I've already done research but just making sure) and how many slings will i get? And how to avoid the male getting eaten.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You're better off breeding a less volatile species first to get an idea of how the process works. OBTs are not slow.

Regarding the Male, only due diligence during the breeding process and being ready to separate them on a second's notice will help minimize the chances of the Male being grabbed.

Keep them both well fed to make them a bit more satiated.

There are a lot of OBTs in the hobby. The species is not rare right now.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
well if OP has an excess I would be a kind person and take two or three off their hands...free of charge due to my generous mood :playful:

Raygamer

Arachnopeon
You're better off breeding a less volatile species first to get an idea of how the process works. OBTs are not slow.

Regarding the Male, only due diligence during the breeding process and being ready to separate them on a second's notice will help minimize the chances of the Male being grabbed.

Well i only kept oldworld so that might be a problem for me. Right now i have a female P. Metallica. One 5" S. Javanensis. Four 4" Ceratogyrus darlingi, alot of obt sling and 3 5" obt. One 3" C. Sp hati-hati. And 10 sling p. Formosa on it's way.

Any advice on what good species to start off breeding though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the more easy speicies to breed. The male can be left in with the female for weeks. But because their speed and defenssive nature towards man, try another calmer speicies first if you have not bred before

sasker

Arachnoprince
No personal experience, but from what I've heard OBTs are super easy to breed (apart from the fact that they are OW, of course). That is one of the reasons why they are so plentiful and cheap in Europe and the US. If you only have experience with OW and you don't want to start keeping NW just because one day you will want to try breeding them, I think breeding OBTs should not be that much of an issue.

I don't know if this is a species that is very easy to come by in Indonesia, but you should always consider how easy/difficult it is to sell the slings after a successful pairing. It is just like L. parahybana in most parts of the world. It is not too difficult to breed them, getting rid of them is another story.

Raygamer

Arachnopeon
No personal experience, but from what I've heard OBTs are super easy to breed (apart from the fact that they are OW, of course). That is one of the reasons why they are so plentiful and cheap in Europe and the US. If you only have experience with OW and you don't want to start keeping NW just because one day you will want to try breeding them, I think breeding OBTs should not be that much of an issue.

I don't know if this is a species that is very easy to come by in Indonesia, but you should always consider how easy/difficult it is to sell the slings after a successful pairing. It is just like L. parahybana in most parts of the world. It is not too difficult to breed them, getting rid of them is another story.
Thanks for the help everyone!

And they're very easy to come by here. High in demands but also readily available everywhere. So getting rid of them is not really an issue.

And my only issues is that i have 0 experience with breeding and everyone telling me to start with new world But i don't have new world and I've never kept them.

I have done tons of research though. So i might just try to do it once I'm fully ready.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would try if i where you! Introduce the male to the female if he made spermweb and dont take him out! Like i wrote, very easy to mate. Female is very defenssive towards humans, but she is usally very nice to the male! When i bred these, i always let the male cohibit with the female. Thay mated many times cos i found spermweb inside females enclosure. Often the males died of old age inside females cage, or i took him out after some weeks to send him away! But the hard oart is when eggsack is layd. If you try to take it, female becomes very angry!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the help everyone!

And they're very easy to come by here. High in demands but also readily available everywhere. So getting rid of them is not really an issue.

And my only issues is that i have 0 experience with breeding and everyone telling me to start with new world But i don't have new world and I've never kept them.

I have done tons of research though. So i might just try to do it once I'm fully ready.
It's not that I dont think you can handle it , its just best to get a feel for breeding first.

To minimize chances (not able to eliminate the risk 100%) be at the ready to separate them if it goes south.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont need to seperate this speicies! Thats the great part pairing this speicies! Females are calm as calm could be towards the male with this speicies. I have bred them many times and never have a female attacked the male! They cohabit fine together, and as a new beginner with this speicies, dont try to take male out. Risk of a bite is prominent!

Raygamer

Arachnopeon
Dont need to seperate this speicies! Thats the great part pairing this speicies! Females are calm as calm could be towards the male with this speicies. I have bred them many times and never have a female attacked the male! They cohabit fine together, and as a new beginner with this speicies, dont try to take male out. Risk of a bite is prominent!
Ive heard alot of loss though. And a few video on youtube of the female eating the male and attacking the male. I'm still not sure if cohabit is the right option.

Wouldn't taking the male out and move it to the female enclosure be the safest option?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's not that I dont think you can handle it , its just best to get a feel for breeding first.
P. murinus really are one of *the* easiest species to breed. If he already owns them, breeding them isn't going to be some huge increase in risk.

Wouldn't taking the male out and move it to the female enclosure be the safest option?
I always closely supervise pairings and remove the male as soon as possible. I have heard of and seen males co habbed with females without problem... but I don't like to force that situation since the male cannot leave if dynamics change.

As for your original post...

I feed my females up as much as they'll take. It lessens the liklihood they'll feel the need to eat the male for nutrition (which is why they eat them).

Your male needs to be mature, obviously, and build a sperm web first. I keep enclosures side by side of spiders I want to pair and I have noticed that they definitely pay attention to each other (tapping, climbing to the adjacent sides, etc).

Introduce the male to the female's enclosure. In my experience, this species is *very* tolerant of each other for breeding. I have never had any trouble, and pairings usually happen pretty quickly (some species sit statue-still for HOURS... I am not that patient lol).

Mature male Orange Bobs are the most defensive tarantulas I have dealt with. The majority of my collection are baboons, and I don't have any that are defensive except MM OBTs.

Keeping mature males well-hydrated is key to their vitality. My MM Orange Bobs also have been pretty good eaters.

My sacs have been between 80-180 slings depending on the size of the female (larger females had larger sacs).

Edited to add: I forgot! You'll want to pair the female as soon as possible after she molts (and has hardened and been fed up, of course). If you wait too long, you risk her molting out of the pairing. Male Orange Bobs aren't the longest lived... less than a year, and closer to 6-8 months in my experience. So if she molts out, he might not be around to try again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Teal the comment was made prior to the indication that he already had a bunch of OWs. I was not stating that I believed them to be difficult to breed. It seemed like he was a fairly new keeper before he indicated otherwise later on.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I totally get wanting breeding experience; but OBTs are so common they are often given away as freebies. Very easy to breed.
Can you re-home them if successful? Or are you happy having a bunch of these guys?
I am an OBT fan-- so not dissing you or your attempt to breed -- just being realistic.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Teal the comment was made prior to the indication that he already had a bunch of OWs. I was not stating that I believed them to be difficult to breed. It seemed like he was a fairly new keeper before he indicated otherwise later on.
Yes! The problems for a noob here are not the pairing itself, that is dealing with the spiders.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Being new to breeding doesn't mean someone is new to keeping spiders... At least, that is how I interpreted it.

Raygamer

Arachnopeon
How long do i have to wait before i can
breed the male to another female if this one are successful?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How long do i have to wait before i can
breed the male to another female if this one are successful?
As soon as you see another sperm web from him! Offer him a meal, and make SURE he ALWAYS has water.