Breeding loan or trade?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
My male P. metallica just matured and I'm wondering whether I should send him out for a breeding loan or just trade him. Any suggestions for the best deal?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As a male or a fenale? I'm guessing as a male, so personally I would just do a breeding loan. I get attached to my T's, so I'd never sell any of them. Also, there's the possibility of getting babies that could be female. With such a pretty spider, it would be a shame not to breed IMO.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you can find a person you trust then I would go breeding loan if not sale/trade him off. I imagine you could get some nice slings in trade to someone who is in need of a male P.metallica.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you can find a person you trust then I would go breeding loan if not sale/trade him off. I imagine you could get some nice slings in trade to someone who is in need of a male P.metallica.
I think that's easier said than done. Not everyone that loves tarantulas is as honest as you'd like. I've heard of people doing "loans" and never hearing from that person again.

That being said, you may send him anyway; at least he gets to fulfill his life ambition. Good luck!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Trade, trade, trade! In my experience, you get way better deals by trading than selling or taking the risk of a loan. I sent out two males (to two different breeders) and neither had a successful pairing, both resulting in a dead male... I find it interesting that both of them have slings of those species for sale right now. I'm sure you catch my drift. Just do a trade, not worth the risk of a loan.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've had a bad experience getting (presumably) ripped off while sending them on loans to hobbyists. If I send him on a loan, it will be with a dealer. For trading, what would be a good "trading price" for him? All I'm looking for are slings (<1") of P. subfusca, rufilata, and miranda; C. lividus; and an O. violaceopes. Thanks!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've had a bad experience getting (presumably) ripped off while sending them on loans to hobbyists. If I send him on a loan, it will be with a dealer. For trading, what would be a good "trading price" for him? All I'm looking for are slings (<1") of P. subfusca, rufilata, and miranda; C. lividus; and an O. violaceopes. Thanks!
Yeah, one guy was an actual dealer, still got ripped off. As for the trading price, he's only worth what someone is willing to pay/trade. I tend to just ask for a list of what he/she has to offer. Since you're only asking for slings, you should be able to get at least two slings, likely more. Don't be afraid to ask for more - literally say "I want A, B, and C, does that sound fair to you?" and go from there.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I vote trade. I mean if you do a breeding loan and if the person is successful and if they give you the agreed amount of slings, you're probably gonna end up trading them too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think the seller would be confused if they literally said that.;)
I'm typing on my phone at work, give me a break :p And maybe it would make sense! He would want an Avicularia, a Brachypelma, and a Chilobrachys!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My male P. metallica just matured and I'm wondering whether I should send him out for a breeding loan or just trade him. Any suggestions for the best deal?
I am not sure what their current status is and I am not trying to speak for either of them, but contact @cold blood and @Poec54 to see if either of them are working on breeding projects at present for P. metallica.

They are both reputable.

cold blood

Staff member
Trade, trade, trade! In my experience, you get way better deals by trading than selling or taking the risk of a loan. I sent out two males (to two different breeders) and neither had a successful pairing, both resulting in a dead male... I find it interesting that both of them have slings of those species for sale right now. I'm sure you catch my drift. Just do a trade, not worth the risk of a loan.
A trade is a guaranteed return on the investment...and with P. met, you should get something or many something nices back in trade....With a loan, the potential for a greater return exists, but it comes with a much higher risk. I'd do a trade unless someone I really trusted had the female.