Breeding Lasiodora Parahybana. Need advice

Ges613

Arachnopeon
Ive got a male and female LP and they arent yet to breeding size yet. But im trying to get some advice about breeding. I have never bred tarantulas so i dont know how to breed them. Please post some advice. If i need to get more supplies or anything before breeding i can get them before breeding time comes.
Thanks
Ges613

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive got a male and female LP and they arent yet to breeding size yet. But im trying to get some advice about breeding. I have never bred tarantulas so i dont know how to breed them. Please post some advice. If i need to get more supplies or anything before breeding i can get them before breeding time comes.
Thanks
Ges613
Don't let your male get eaten.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm going to give you the advice that I got. Check out the breeding reports section of this site, watch some videos, google the topic and read away, then try again with specific questions or points for clarification. You will get better answers that make more sense that way.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks
Ges613
What are the sizes of each of them?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Male is about 2" female is about 3"
At those sizes you will have to feed your female like crazy and keep her in the mid 80s and feed your male much less and keep him in the low to mid 70s or he will mature before her rendering him useless for that pairing.

There is a good chance he is still going to reach ultimate molt before she is mature.

Ges613

Arachnopeon
I'm not in a big hurry to get them breeding. I'm just wanting to get some advice before I start getting them to breeding age and size. That way if I need to get anything to prep for it I can. I'm used to breeding turtles.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm not in a big hurry to get them breeding. I'm just wanting to get some advice before I start getting them to breeding age and size. That way if I need to get anything to prep for it I can. I'm used to breeding turtles.
I understand that but if you don't keep your male cool and feed him about 1/3 as often as your female you will never be able to breed the two of them together.

Male tarantulas mature much faster than females. For example if kept at the same temp and fed the same size prey say twice a week your male could mature in 12 months where as your female will take 24 months. The above example is just a hypothetical scenario but you get the drift...

Ges613

Arachnopeon
Ok. Male is 1". Just measured. Female is 3". She's eating 1" crickets he's eating 1/4" - 1/2" crickets. She eats probably 2 or even 3 times a week and he's just eating once. Both have a heat pad. She's in a 20 gallon long and he's in a large Reptile Ranch. Both she's kept at a high humidity(just cause I remember to mist her a bit more often then him) he's kept just a tad dryer cause the heat pad takes up more of his enclosure then it does hers. But inside her borrow is about 80 and the male sits on his cold side which is maybe 70. That work?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For the record...you're looking at 800-1800 spiderlings if successfull with the breeding. Prepared for that? :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Male is about 2" female is about 3"

Not going to happen. The female should be at least 2 years older than the male so that they're adults at the right time. That hip has already sailed with that pair. You need to get a sexed subadult LP soon if you're going to breed your male.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can stop worrying about your male getting eaten , the pairing is not going to happen with the size differences of the two spiders you have.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Not going to happen. The female should be at least 2 years older than the male so that they're adults at the right time. That hip has already sailed with that pair.
People breeding sac mates is not unheard of. I have seen lp get up to 7 inches in under 24 months. He would have to manipulate the growth rate of both of them drastically and pray hard but it is possible.

---------- Post added 11-09-2015 at 10:45 AM ----------

Ok. Male is 1". Just measured. Female is 3". She's eating 1" crickets he's eating 1/4" - 1/2" crickets. She eats probably 2 or even 3 times a week and he's just eating once. Both have a heat pad. She's in a 20 gallon long and he's in a large Reptile Ranch. Both she's kept at a high humidity(just cause I remember to mist her a bit more often then him) he's kept just a tad dryer cause the heat pad takes up more of his enclosure then it does hers. But inside her borrow is about 80 and the male sits on his cold side which is maybe 70. That work?
Get rid of the heat pads and buy a space heater. Search the threads on the dangers of heating pads and lights.

Your basically on the right track as far as feeding and temp manipulation but in all honesty your chances of success are very very low...

Lp are are cheap and easy to aquire i would go ahead and find a solid 5-6 inch female and raise your male nice and slow.

Ges613

Arachnopeon
I'll cross my fingers and hope. And I'll just remain on my current care giving. Male and female are about to molt anyway

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'll cross my fingers and hope. And I'll just remain on my current care giving. Male and female are about to molt anyway

It's going to take a lot more than optimism. Biology is working against you. As was said, you'd have to drastically manipulate each one's growth rates and even then 'the chances of success are very, very low.'

Did you buy a sexed pair? Have you verified that? You may or may not have one of each sex, or the female may be the small one, as is often the case. LP's are not the giant spiders some would have you believe. Their typical size has been inflated for 'marketing purposes.'

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's going to take a lot more than optimism. Biology is working against you. As was said, you'd have to drastically manipulate each one's growth rates and even then 'the chances of success are very, very low.'

Did you buy a sexed pair? Have you verified that? You may or may not have one of each sex, or the female may be the small one, as is often the case. LP's are not the giant spiders some would have you believe. Their typical size has been inflated for 'marketing purposes.'
Ain't that the truth!

Ges613

Arachnopeon
I was given the female already sexed and it have her verified. She is the bigger one. And the male I bought him to small to tell. Going off his last molt it does look like it's a male.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With Lp's why would you even consider pairing with sack mates. I've never been a fan of sac mates yet alone hybreeding. There are a crap load of them in the hobby, probably some of the cheapest spiders that you can purchase. My suggestion is purchase 6 new slings and hope for a male.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
With Lp's why would you even consider pairing with sack mates. I've never been a fan of sac mates yet alone hybreeding. There are a crap load of them in the hobby, probably some of the cheapest spiders that you can purchase. My suggestion is purchase 6 new slings and hope for a male.

Right, they're too close in size already, especially with impending molts. A few LP egg sacs in a year will overwhelm the hobby in the US. Most people end up giving a bunch of them away.