Breeding in Progress... Quick Question

JakeLeg

Arachnopeon
Breeding Brachypelma...
So I have introduced the male to the female. He walked into her cage and stopped about 3 inches away from her. Neither has moved so much as a hair and its been about 2 1/2 hours...

How long does one wait? I'm prepared to wait indefinately but Im wondering if this is a sign they are not ready. I would have figured there would be some activity/excitement by now.

As always thanks in advance.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brachypelma what?

Mating rituals are different for different species and we need to know the species and conditions they're being kept in before we're able to help you.

Sounds like all is good so far, but we can't tell you anything for sure until we get some form of information that describes to us what's going on.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No moving from anyone in that ammount of time is not the desired reaction. Id remove the male and try again in a few hours, or another evening.

Has that male mated with any other female yet? Brachy males can be a pain in the butt sometimes, real big wimps. But once they over come that they are good to go.

Knowing the species will help some too.

JakeLeg

Arachnopeon
They are B. Albiceps...

This is the first time the male has been introduced to any female. He has been spinning sperm webs and the female had been well fed and fattened up.

They have been kept in exo-terra tanks next to each other.

Recently she began roaming around the tank and spinning webs everywhere... I figured that was a good sign and that perhaps they were getting "wifts" of each other...

Anyway... still nothing about 3 hours now.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Take him out. Try again later, and try in the evening. Leaving him in there now frozen like that and no one making any attempt to mate could just result in his death.