Breeding Haplopelmas

jordkil

Arachnopeon
I'm planning to breed my Haplopelma minax's this year. Can anyone give me links or info on how 2?

Thanks
Jordkil

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm planning to breed my Haplopelma minax's this year. Can anyone give me links or info on how 2?

Thanks
Jordkil
This is a method I use to breed Haplopelma spp. I house all my Haplopelma spp. females in tall widemouth 1 gallon jar that is filled 1/2 full with substrate. So this methods results may vary.

First: Find a freshly mature male and female of comparable size. That's a gimme but, it's a step

Second: I would measure the size of the top of female's enclosure and find a container with a lid that is large enough for you to cut an appropriate size hole in bottom so the male can fit through it easily without getting stuck.

Third: Cautiously take the lid off of the female's enclosure and carefully secure the container you just made to the top of the female's enclosure.

Fourth: Carefully put male into top container and close the lid and watch the show.

I hope this helps.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats just one way of 'mating'

not necessarily breeding, which means having a hatchout of young ones (at least to me I think)

http://giantspiders.com/article16.html

thats a good read, but many people cool them down for a month or so then bring the temp and humidity back up. check out the Breeding Section about Haplopelma.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats just one way of 'mating'

not necessarily breeding, which means having a hatchout of young ones (at least to me I think)
You brought up a good point and here's my conclusion:

Technically they are two different words with similar associations. Which I will discuss briefly to help clear up some of the confusion.

wikipedia said:
Breeding In animal husbandry and in horticulture the selection of stock for propagation and the act of insemination by natural or artificial means is called breeding. See Selective breeding, artificial selection, and plant breeding.
The act of copulation in animals is sometimes called breeding.
Breeding refers to the vocation of propagating a particular breed in the hobby of animal fancy.
Here the link with a description of meaning of the word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeding

Since this thread is about breeding Haplopelmas (minax to be exact) I'll get back on the main subject.

Here's how I condition my female Haplopelmas after mating:

I store them in a cooler area (Upper 50's mid 60's) for a month and a half. It may sound too cold but, interestingly it puts them into a hibernation mode (theoretically speaking)

Then after the above method, I would place them in the normal temperature (Mid 70's low 80's) and eventually they will lay an eggsac. I usually leave the eggsac with mom and check on it every once in a while.

Then when the spiderlings begin to disperse then remove mom and move the eggsac to an incubator tank and round up whatever spiderlings you can.

Actions speak louder than words truthfully and this is just a what I would do scenerio.

Brian

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Brian,

i know it varies, but what is the average time AFTER hibernation that they make an eggsac?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Brian,

i know it varies, but what is the average time AFTER hibernation that they make an eggsac?
It could take 1 week - 1 month (That's an estimate) depending on how developed the eggs are inside her. There is no way that I know of to give an exact time when this will happen.

Brian

jordkil

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. do you cool the male or just the female? Do you have to cool them? what about the slings do you sperate them into tubs after their first molt if not when?