Breeding Greenbottle Blue

InvertePaul

Arachnopeon
Hi, this is my first post on here so I apologize in advance if I've posted in a wrong catagory, I'm still finding it all a little daunting so bear with me ;-)

I'm new to tarantula breeding, i've recently paired my Grammostola Pulchripes which was quite straight forward and I'm awaiting the results, and i've been pairing my Greenbottle Blue tarantulas in the last 4 weeks. So far i've paired them 5 times, he's had a lucky escape everytime, 3 out of 5 of those pairings i've witnessed definite insertions including the last time I paired them - very brief, but insertions none the less before she's pounced on him, the other 2 times I'm not so sure. What is the next step now? Should I keep trying them until he loses interest or she finally gets him, or should I take a chance on those 3 insertions and concentrate my efforts now on getting her to lay? I've heard many times they are tricky to breed so I want to do the best I can to succeed. I welcome all advice, thank you

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
good luck. one of the most difficult ones to breed. usually ends up being a large meal for the female.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If youve witnessed several definite insertions and seen her flap open/puffy afterwards consider it done.

All it takes is a single split second insertion, one time, to get the job done! The female can/will get more aggressive with every pairing attempt so the number of attempts really all depends on how risky you feel with the valuable MM.

If they were my spiders, i would call it quits and ship the mm off to another experienced and trustworthy breeder. Try to work out a trade or some type of 50/50 loan.. at least that way you increase your collection and double your chances at viable offspring

InvertePaul

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I'm quite sure he got some insertions, he goes at her for around 45 minutes advancing then retreating building up momentum and then he goes for the insertion, she's always receptive when mating, drumming and touching him, but as soon as his palps touch her bits then she attacks him. As for the swollen flap, I wasn't aware of checking that, but now I feel like mating them one more time and doing a check afterwoods. Hmmm?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
You mention her drumming. Did he drum much/ at all? I'm working on the same project and my MM seems super interested but won't drum for some reason... curious as to what your MM did.

Good luck! Sounds like you got the deed done!

cold blood

Staff member
If you witness insertions once, thats enough...stop pairing and wait....doing what you are doing is a great way to lose that male.

By not throwing him to the wolves you can hang onto him i case the female molts...lose him and you are back to finding another mm.

Every sac i have gotten has come from one single successful pairing....my MMs die of old age generally.

Have you been waiting for him to make sperm webs between these pairings?

InvertePaul

Arachnopeon
Yeah, he's always making them, female molted in January so it'll be a while before she moults again

InvertePaul

Arachnopeon
You mention her drumming. Did he drum much/ at all? I'm working on the same project and my MM seems super interested but won't drum for some reason... curious as to what your MM did.

Good luck! Sounds like you got the deed done!
Yeah he does drum but not as much as her, she's the one who instigates it, she senses him a few minutes after I put him in then she starts tapping ..he responds anywhere between 15-30 minutes later, he doesn't really drum, he sort of flicks his front legs out like antenna then starts advancing towards her

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you been waiting for him to make sperm webs between these pairings?
I was about to ask the exact same question haha.

Op, do what you feel is necessary, but please at least ensure a spermweb was made prior to trying! Dont want that guy getting munched for nothing