Breeding GBB as we speak....Help ASAP

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I got my GBB and talked to Botar and he said give it a shot so I am. He's kinda slowly making his way to her den but she is facing the other way. Do you have any hints as far as how not to lose him and what to look for?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunatley, no. From what I understand, especially with GBB's, the male will get chomped. All you can do is watch them and hope you are faster than she is if she decides to attack him. Best of luck to you!!!

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, thanks.....Should I shark tank him over night or just let him cruise?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Woa there......... you dont just have to watch and wait to see if he dies or mates......
Shark tanking is another method to try. Leave him in there till you see both parties might be showing interest. Then remove the cage.
And another way is to take him out and never let him come from the back, thats how most of my female killing male situations happen. Try and always place him where he will get to her and be in front. He stands a much better chance that way.

Another way to protect him is when he is closing the distance, hover with tweezers or a pen or something, keep it right in front of her but dont get to close. So if she does decide to make a blinding kill move she will hit the object your holding inbetween her and him and not him, I do this method a lot. Most of the times after that initial burst from the female if the male does not run away then he trys to move in and do is thing.

I very rarely just let them be and dont try and be protective. Unless I have more males lined up already, and even then its not the best of ideas to not protect him if you can.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well right now he took off to her opening and I tanked him to see how she would react. Their about less than an inch from another and no drumming yet. I guess i'll have to wait and see?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If there is no drumming and they are that close, I can almost bet on dinner time coming early for the female.
There is no rush, it does not have to work the first time. Take him out and wait. Try again in a few hours. If you have the same results later then take him out again and try tomorrow night.
I have had pairs ignore eachother 4,5 even 6 times+ and for some reason on the 7th + time they hook up and act like long lost lovers. Its a patience game, and if you rush it your going to end up with nothing but a fat female.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I got him out with no harm done. I figure i'll give him a few days off and try to feed him. When should I try again?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i mated my rosies, this is the way they did it, where the male did not drumming. I touched them both with a fresh paintbrush to let the female know who was there. When she turned to face him i put the brush a few centimeters from her fangs just in case she lunged. I kept the brush there until he hooked on and/or she became obviously receptive. It didn't seem to interfere with the mating. Had she spread her fangs and lunged at him, the brush would have prevented her from getting to him as it would have caught her in the crotch of her fangs. If she had moved sideways and lunged or done anything other than a straight forward lunge, i probably would not have been able to do anything. You may want to try that, or if the female still will not face him and he is not drumming, you may want at least to use a paint brush to let each one know exactly who else is there. Good luck, i hope the male doesnt get munched

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes Rosies I very rarely see drum at all, but Gbb females are known to be killers. If suprised, or the male is not dancing to the right beat the female unleash an extreamly fast killing blow. Most of the time the breeder has enough time to think "oh heck" and its over.

I tried to mate my female a few years back and she killed the only male I could find. She was well fed on three adult roaches the previous week so she was not in need of food, she just wanted no part of mating at that time. I blinked and he was on his death bed.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
talkenlate- you have more breeding experience than I, do you think that the idea about using paintbrushes could help?

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Trey you seem way to busy making new threads to check if anyone else as ever bred GBB's on this board so i did some work for you. Getting the information you need can be a little tricky but i've found if you read more than the first sentence 90% of the time i never had to make a repeating thread.

Edit: i forgot to add if you wish to breed tarantula's its a good idea to read up on how to do it BEFORE throwing the male in the cage

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=90989&highlight=gbb+breeding

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=61610&highlight=GBB+breeding

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=4235&highlight=gbb+breeding

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=67258

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=62899

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the motion,I hooked up my GBB's last weekend,and again this weekend. He didn't make it for thirds,hope the other two couplings were sucessful,only time will tell,good-luck with yours!!!! Later-Karl:rolleyes:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
talkenlate- you have more breeding experience than I, do you think that the idea about using paintbrushes could help?
Yes I mentioned it above in a different response............ the paintbrush method works very well. Once she makes a move and knows its another T there and a male then she might settle down. The tricky part is a few times I have had the male and female cling to the brush and try and start mating. It was intertaining but I had to hold steady till I could lift it without pissing them off.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, i had though you meant hovering over with a paint brush but it not actively there. I didnt think it would be possible to successfully interfere that way.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh, i had though you meant hovering over with a paint brush but it not actively there. I didnt think it would be possible to successfully interfere that way.
Yea that methond works very well, I did it with some of my matings, but lately I haven't done it.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another way to protect him is when he is closing the distance, hover with tweezers or a pen or something, keep it right in front of her but dont get to close. So if she does decide to make a blinding kill move she will hit the object your holding inbetween her and him and not him, I do this method a lot. Most of the times after that initial burst from the female if the male does not run away then he trys to move in and do is thing.
Here's what I use...it works quite well. I use it like a sheild. The female's fangs always hit the bottom portion and never hit the male even at proximities too close for a paintbrush or pencil. It can also be used to gently push the female back.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yea that methond works very well, I did it with some of my matings, but lately I haven't done it.

That was the only way for my P. scrofa. The females were out to kill for like ten minutes, before finally calming down about the idea of a male in the cage. He was finally killed on his third round.

-Sean

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Considering the male was shipped yesterday, arrived today, you might want to give him a little time to settle in. He hasn't been eating much, just follows things around the enclosure for a while then ignores them. Try just putting his enclosure next to hers and see if there is any interest.

Bill

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*UPDATE*
I tried the fish tank method this morning and she walked up and started drumming. As soon as I took the deli cup off he took off the other way and now he has found himself in her burrow. This is going to have a really good or really bad ending. I'll keep ya informed.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So when you lifted the tank he just bolted and now hes taken over her hide lol. Yes you ase right this is going to be a happy or very un happy ending. Good luck!

Where is she located now?