Breeding GBB as we speak....Help ASAP

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe not.... some males take a bit longer then others. I have had males wait 3 months to lay down the first web.
But if hes healthy and active sperm webs should be coming every week or so sometimes more sometimes less, so if there is any doubt there is no harm in waiting till you see evidence of one being made and used or remains of one.

No point in going through all this trouble if hes going to get in there and be firing blanks. :eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I would think he should have made one with all that time, hm, maybe just try pairing them againg tonight, and if the male runs away again give him a couple of days to rest and hopefully produce a visible sperm web.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also if you place him back in his tank but add some webbing from the female to his tank this sometimes triggers the making of a new fresh sperm web.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I have heard from a few people about just letting them cohabitate and praying. What do you guys think about this? I will try again tonight and see what happens. Is there any way other than the obvoius egg sac to tell if he's fully charged or "shooting blanks". I WOULD hate to lose him for nothing! Also should I leave him shark tanked and let the female walk around or just leave them both contained?Maybe it will spark something if I can let the female get close enough to him and calm him down or would it scare him more? Sorry for all the newbie questions but I wanna do this right!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now I have heard from a few people about just letting them cohabitate and praying. What do you guys think about this? I will try again tonight and see what happens. Is there any way other than the obvoius egg sac to tell if he's fully charged or "shooting blanks". I WOULD hate to lose him for nothing! Also should I leave him shark tanked and let the female walk around or just leave them both contained?Maybe it will spark something if I can let the female get close enough to him and calm him down or would it scare him more? Sorry for all the newbie questions but I wanna do this right!
You can let them cohabite, but I have heard that GBB females usually eat the males, so I don't know it's kind of iffy. I have cohabbited the species C.fasciatum, and there was no aggressive behavior, but then again that is a different species. I'd just go with shark tanking, let the female walk around, since it is her enclosure. Then later tonight try to mate them again, if nothing happens let the male take a break and make a visible sperm web.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If she is in a 20 gallon aquarium I would let them cohabitate over night. There are never any guarantees that she won't eat him. You just have to let them try.

If you have time you could watch them closely for a couple of hours to see what he does when they are both removed from their cups. The males of this species are very cautious and nervous so don't expect him to behave like other species.

He might be so active in the cup because he wants to mate with her. I've had males here that almost drove me crazy because they walked around so much trying to get to a female.

If she's drumming let both of them out of their cups to see what happens.

Good luck!

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another slight update. He is climbing the walls around her but he won't make an up front confrontation. Im worried about him spooking her by coming in from behind. I was told to go ahead and leave him overnight because if shes drumming I "shouldn't" have anything to worry about. Why does this have to be so stressful?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is this your first time breeding t's? If so, you picked one of the hardest species to breed.

It's really not that hard. They do all the work. :D

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Naw.....I know how hard they are to breed. This is going to be a long night!

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep, it will probably be a long night for you. I know I've spent many long nights breeding this species. Just keep us posted on what happens.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Take the poor guy out, he isn't ready.
He's mature, he's ready. He's just shy.:eek:

I'd take the risk of leaving him in overnight, looks like your gonna have to stay up all night. Either do that, or take him out and put him in a seperate tank and wait for a sperm web. Try feeding him as well.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well ive heard that this breed the male will take forever to test the female to see if she's going to eat him or not. Im going to take the chance and leave ol Ron Jeremy in there and hope his true colors show.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe ill put on some Marvin Gaye "Lets get it on" . Well it works for me! ;)

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, good luck. You have a nice chance of the male being eaten. ..jk!

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The male came from me and was just shipped on monday. His enclosure was webbed up top to bottom and he was adding to it constantly, mostly just thickening up the exsisting tunnels. It was very difficult to determine if he was building sperm webbs as the space was a fairly complex tunnel system and a lot of it was pretty much opaque.
As is typical for a MM, he wasn't eating very often but would follow prey items all over the tank, often placing one leg on it but no more. He's always been reasonably non skittish for a GBB and usually handle-able with only minor initial hair kicking and not much tendancy to bolt.
As I stated in a previous post, it might be a good idea to let him get situated in his own space and let him settle in for a bit. If he wasn't previously building sperm webs, the presence of the female might trigger it, but may be not when she's a direct threat sitting right in front of him. Rushing into this is just going to get him munched...

Bill

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since i've had him he has eaten and re hydrated and if he hasn't built a sperm web by now there is something wrong with him and he won't or can't build one. I've talked to Botar, Swift, and Dean at NW and they all say if she's drumming you have to at least try it. I would say i've rushed into it too bad but if she's drumming she's interested.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since i've had him he has eaten and re hydrated and if he hasn't built a sperm web by now there is something wrong with him and he won't or can't build one. I've talked to Botar, Swift, and Dean at NW and they all say if she's drumming you have to at least try it. I would say i've rushed into it too bad but if she's drumming she's interested.
Keep him in there. Just hope for the best I guess.

Offtopic: Billopelma, I love the avatar. That is hilarious, a big hairy T eating the petco symbol.:clap: {D I take it your name is Bill from the screenname, so very nice Bill!

Last edited:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, did you let both of them out of their cups? If so, what are they doing? If not, then I highly suggest you let them out to see what happens.

Off topic: I have been wondering what that avatar was. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I see it. Very nice!:}

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are both out and he came in from behind and they are both drumming but she hasn't turned around yet but I do think his front leg is touching her back leg.