Breeding GBB as we speak....Help ASAP

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, she's in the open part of her tank so I "could" cup her and save him but I don't know what to do. Yeah he's in her hide and he's not even trying to come out and she just drumming away

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
something needs to happen soon because I need to leave in about 30 min

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol, she's in the open part of her tank so I "could" cup her and save him but I don't know what to do. Yeah he's in her hide and he's not even trying to come out and she just drumming away
If hes in the burrow and she is still drumming odds are hes drumming as well and you cant see him. Keep a watchful eye and see what happens. The female being receptive like that is 90% of the battle. The other 10% is having a male thats not chicken and will go in there and be a man. :D

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, I can see him and he's not drumming. He's climbing the walls trying to find a way out other than confronting her!

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Should I go ahead and leave them alone? I don't know how long she's going to go for this until she decides she's had enough.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No I would remove him..... if hes doing nothing but trying to escape then hes not in the mood. Much like females males have to be feeling the vibes as well.
And believe it or not they are aware of the day night cycles, they are more likely to mate in the early evening hours then any other time. I would remove him and try again this evening.

Anytime a male is trying to escape like they you run the risk of pissing off the receptive female and turning the male into a snack!

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sometimes it takes the male 2 hours to get brave. I believe the shortest time I watched mine was around 45 minutes. The longest was around 2 1/2 hours.

I agree, if she's drumming then he will most likely be fine if she doesn't munch him after they mate. In which case it will be difficult to save him since she will be striking at such close contact.

If you decide to remove him make sure you cup the female before doing so.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The problem with getting him out if I would have to cup her and wait for him to come out. There's no way I could get him out without destoying her home.Should I do that?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can do a reverse shark tanking. Cover the female and leave the male in there. Look for signs that hes settled down some or started drumming then release the female. I have done this once or twice and found it just as effective as shark tanking the male.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's what i've done for the time being. I blocked the enterance to her hide with the male in it so she's can't get to him. There's not enough room to shark tank the female right now so when I get home i'll try to manuver them around so I can get the female cupped. This is such a pain in the

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What size enclosure is she in? If you really feel the need to remove him then coax him out with some long tweezers.

Or you could cup her, remove her, then get him out and put her back.

I agree, this species can be a royal pain the butt when breeding. That's what makes them so fun!

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,
Like KJE stated earlier, GBB pairing can be a very long process. Contrary to popular belief, I paired two males with my female. She co-habbed with the second for over two month's with zero aggression witnessed. He was in proportion to her size. Also, they were paired in a 30 gal aquarium with her retreat being new, and plenty of places for either one to hide. I got a sac from this method, but it was molded over when I pulled it.
I believe I introduced the first guy using the shark tank method to see if she was receptive. The rest was history. Hope this helps.
The new BTS journal has a pretty sweet article in it on GBB breeding.
Jon

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is going to sound so stupid but im so proud of the fact that she has not kicked any hairs in the last 5 months that I don't want to disturb her and make her have that ugly bald abdomen thingy going.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, now I have them both in the 20 gal both shark tanked. Should I try again tonight? I've talked to a few people on the phone and they said I need to take advantage of her being receptive. Ohhh, what to do, what to do?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, now I have them both in the 20 gal both shark tanked. Should I try again tonight? I've talked to a few people on the phone and they said I need to take advantage of her being receptive. Ohhh, what to do, what to do?
Have they mated yet? Have you got any good insertions or any at all? If they haven't I would definately mate them again tonight. Are they both being receptive?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They have not mated. This was the first time for them being introduced and the female walked over to the male while under the cup and started to drum. I took the cup off and the male ran away. I have them both in cups and the female is chill but the male is climbing and moving all around the cup. While I have them both in the tank should I just leave them covered until I try it again tonight?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In other words the male has not drummed once.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe the male isn't ready cause he hasn't made a sperm web? I find that when my males(not of this speies though) haven't made a sperm web, they aren't receptive. If you are sure he made a sperm web, try going at it tonight. If your unsure, I would contact the person that sold it to you and see if they saw him make a sperm web, if not I would wait till you see him make one.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have no idea if hes made a sperm web. The guy said that he hooked out about the 2nd or 3rd week of feb so I would think so don't ya think?