Breeding G.rosea questions

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
OK i am real new to breeding T's... but I just got some rosies, a MF and two MM's. I have them in there new enclosures and seem to have settled in nicely. My questions are:

1. Will I have to wait for the female to stay in her new borrow in order to introduce the male?

2. Will I also have to wait for the male to make a sperm web AND tear it down. And if he tears it down does he take some of it with him?

I don't ask because I am in a hurry... just want to know when they are ready

web eviction

Arachnolord
Wish I could help with this but from what I know as long as they have all settled in and the male has made a sperm web I believe you can introduce them but I could be wrong sorry for a worthless post lol

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
regarding your intentions of breeding them, don't look to make a profit. G. rosea grows very slowly and their slings aren't in high demand from what I understand.

web eviction

Arachnolord
I know the male deposits his sperm on the web he makes then draws it up into the bulbs at the ends of his pedipalps and takes it with him.... and be sure to introduce him to her enclosure not vice versa

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
regarding your intentions of breeding them, don't look to make a profit. G. rosea grows very slowly and their slings aren't in high demand from what I understand.
I am not... willing to hold on to them as long as it takes. want sum LOL

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it NEVER rains, in Southern Chile - I'll see ya ~ when I get There... *smirk*

OK i am real new to breeding T's... but I just got some rosies, a MF and two MM's. I have them in there new enclosures and seem to have settled in nicely. My questions are:

1. Will I have to wait for the female to stay in her new borrow in order to introduce the male?

2. Will I also have to wait for the male to make a sperm web AND tear it down. And if he tears it down does he take some of it with him?

I don't ask because I am in a hurry... just want to know when they are ready
A: #1 Sometimes they do Not seek to create a burrow in captivity, or actively use a "cave", & then sometimes, specimens seem 2 :p
Preffered perhaps to have her, "settled", so-2-speak :cool: Although I have paired Many right after receipt of Adults.

A: #2 If he has yet to make a Sperm Web in his Maturity.
I suppose even after "torn down", that it would still be a FERTILE tool, IMO. He would presumably be done w/ @ that point though, And will make MORE :p

Enjoy the Species, they could become harder to get, In-the-near Future....Ironically. And They seem to laughably be, thought to be the Most Common & yet, Difficult Tarantula to breed from Captive Pairings :? {D{D{D I wonder if I'll ever be successful propagating the Species :cool::p:cool:

GL :razz: - Jason

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
I know the male deposits his sperm on the web he makes then draws it up into the bulbs at the ends of his pedipalps and takes it with him.... and be sure to introduce him to her enclosure not vice versa
is it visible? or you just know it is there when the web has been removed. If he already made a sperm web with the last owner, would I have to wait for another sperm web?

Thanks for spelling it out for me. The keeper guide is already on order and on its way.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not... willing to hold on to them as long as it takes. want sum LOL

Nah, appreciate it though. I'm still new to the hobby and only have one T, and I'm still trying to figure how out to care for it. It's sub adult I think ... I couldn't imagine taking care of a sling at this point.

But I think that is probably what you're gonna have to do if you want to get rid of some - give them away.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

The keeper guide is already on order and on its way.

+1

I should have mine in a few days

:)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is it visible? or you just know it is there when the web has been removed. If he already made a sperm web with the last owner, would I have to wait for another sperm web?
Yes, you may see him "Use" it, while "Charging" his Emboli :eek: Fun to watch!

Not nec. But if you wait.......he'll make another -or- after a QUICK suppervised *pairing*, then Seperation :eek: will likely get him: In-the-Mood :D:D:D

It greatly fascinates me, Every time I see Rosehairs mating multiple times :razz:

I never seem 2 get BORED, of Rosehairs, or such common "creature comforts" - again, GL & enjoy :)

P.S. I saw a freshly molted, Chilean Rosehair F, just today = 5.75" *smile*

Last edited:

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
Nah, appreciate it though. I'm still new to the hobby and only have one T, and I'm still trying to figure how out to care for it. It's sub adult I think ... I couldn't imagine taking care of a sling at this point.

But I think that is probably what you're gonna have to do if you want to get rid of some - give them away.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

+1

I should have mine in a few days

:)
This thread is about breeding G.rosea... not selling or anything else.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

that sounds like what I thought with the web. Really didn't know about her being in the den. She might go in once he finishes his web I suppose. If I don't see a sperm web in the next few weeks I will do a quick pairing. Will let you know how it goes.

IGS

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
well he made what might be a sperm web, it was thin and lined part of the ground. Than he rolled it up like you would do with an old carpet and than he sat there and made another one right away. Humm I paired him the next day and he just sat there for an hour. I didn't see anything in his pulpits at all so I wasn't sure if he was charged or not and took him out. What do you think?

Good news... he made it out alive. I would rather breed spiders than fight them

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
update

I paired them last night for the second time and they engaged, and I seen the insertion. When he let her down she was defiantly about to attack him. Could I assume that if he did this he was charged as I did not see any sperm web?

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
well this didn't work out like I expected..... she molted last night:wall::wall:. I guess I will try again in a few. How long should I wait

PS anybody reading this

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well this didn't work out like I expected..... she molted last night:wall::wall:. I guess I will try again in a few. How long should I wait

PS anybody reading this
yep. :) But more or less as a trying to learn. I don't think the breed reports give enough information. (well some do, but they don't really answer the questions *I* have).

Though I wish I was in your position... my male hides and doesn't look like he ever made a sperm web. Doesn't try to get out etc.

My female that I have been feeding more then normal trying to get her to molt because I bought her last year and didn't know when she molted last and didn't want to pair until a molt.

So I'd perfer she molted. I'd be estactic if I came home and saw that she molted.

Good luck with your next attempt. :)

- Sharon

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
If she just molted you need to wait at least until she is good and hardened. I would say about a week should be good. I may be wrong on that though. Also I think if she molted that soon after the pairing, you should be able to see if it was a successful insertion. Just look at her parts on the molt and there might be some sperm in the molt if it was successful on his behalf. I may be wrong on that one though.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
Good luck with your next attempt. :)

- Sharon
Thanks.... will keep this updated

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Just look at her parts on the molt and there might be some sperm in the molt if it was successful on his behalf. .
Thanks for the good idea. Just have to get it back now.... my wife took it to class to show her kids

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
been a week or so since she molted... I paired her again with the male and they seemed to pair well. Seen that insertion. Should I pair again in a week or so?

lancej

Arachnolord
Yes. I would try multiple times. If you haven't seen any sperm webs, but he is still "healthy looking", I wouldn't worry too much. Some males are better at hiding and destroying their sperm webs. The males are pretty vulnerable when they are charging their palps, so most try to do it at night or when they are hidden. Most of the time, all you see is a little piece of rolled-up looking web (usually very white in color) on the floor of his container. You should also feed your female VERY heavily. The fatter she gets, the more likely she'll lay a sac. If your males are still good looking, then I think you got lucky with your female molting. Now you know exactly when she molted last, which will greatly increase your chances of getting a sac from her. My experience with rose hairs has been hit or miss, so good luck.

samthaunknown

Arachnopeon
If memory serves correct, wasn't there a chapter on breeding in the tarantula keepers guide. Great read, highly recommended..

k2power

Arachnoknight
How do you know if the female is ready. I have a mature male and a newly bought female. Both have been with me for about 3 weeks and I tried pairing today but the male got charged. I anticipate the female thought food, so I will feed her more before trying again. I don't know the time since the male matured but probably a few months at least. Any suggestions other than feeding the female heavily, introducing male to female and watching closely.